Chapter 41; Sorting

Draco's POV

Aurora took my hand and we walked into the Great Hall. I expected her to hide her face and cling to my arm like she did at King's Cross but she didn't. She carried herself just like she always did.

What changed?

A group of second year's looked at her for longer than she appreciated. 

"Do you have something to say?" She snapped at them.

Their eyes got wide and turned around quickly.

I looked at Aurora next to me, her evil smirk grew across her face. It had been months seen I'd seen her like this. I couldn't help but smile. We made it to our spot at the Slytherin table and sat with our friends.

Hope stared at Aurora as she sat down, just as confused as I was. Dylan raised an eyebrow at me. I shrugged as I sat down.

"Hey, what just happened back there?" I said quietly to Aurora.

She shrugged and looked at her empty plate.

"Fake it til you make it, right?" She said.

Dumbledore started speaking and announced the sorting ceremony was about to begin. 

"We're starting tonight with a rather special addition to our school." He said. "This student is joining us in her third year from Ilvermorny."

"Dracena Malfoy" McGonagall called.

Whispers filled the Great Hall, I felt eyes on me from every direction.

"Yes, she's my sister." I snapped loudly and everyone stopped staring.

I watched Dracena sit on the sorting stool and McGonagall place the hat on her head. She looked confused, I let out a small chuckle.

"Is this.. a second Malfoy?" The Sorting Hat muttered. "It is.. how strange. You're bright hm, and have a much kinder heart than your brother did, cunning and ambitious though.. Slytherin!"

The Slytherin table cheered and Dracena walked towards me. I stood to greet her.

She gave me a hug when she got to me, which I didn't particularly appreciate with the whole school seeing.

"Like it was even a question I'd be in Slytherin." Dracena said with a textbook Malfoy smirk.

Everyone was, again, staring at us. Aurora stood to scoot everyone down for Dracena to sit. She looked at everyone staring at me and my sister;

"Have you never seen someone have a little sister? What the hell are you all staring at?" She snapped, looking around at anyone who dared to continue staring.

They did just that though, everyone staring at Aurora's face. Aurora still didn't flinch, which surprised me.

"It's okay, Aurora." Dracena said looking up at her from her seat. "Just sit back down."

Aurora did so and McGonagall continued the Sorting Ceremony. When it was over, Dumbledore made all of his normal announcements and dinner started. I was ready to get out of there. We finished dinner and I looked to Aurora.

"Are you ready to leave?" I asked.

She nodded.

I looked to Dracena and told her to go with the first years since it was her first time to the Slytherin dormitory.

I stood and waited for Aurora.

"I'll see you in class tomorrow." She told our friends and we left.

Everyone stared as we walk out. I heard whispers about Aurora's scar but if she didn't react to it, I wasn't going to.

We made it back to the common room and went to Aurora and Dylan's room for Aurora to get some clothes. 

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, I think so actually." She said to me. "I forgot how much power I held here, how much power we both have."

I chuckled and nodded.

"Yeah you scared those second-years pretty good." I told her.

"I forgot who I was." She said pulling some clothes out of her trunk.

She swished her wand and her bags and trunk started to unpack themselves.

"My father tried to kill me and my mother took his side over her only child but that doesn't change who I am, does it?" She said sitting on the bed with a stack of clothes in her hand.

I couldn't do anything but smile.

"Why are you smiling at me like that?" She asked getting back up so we could go to my room.

"It's good to have you back, love." I said to her.

She stood facing me, letting what I said sink in. I hope it didn't upset her for some reason.

"Thank you for being so patient with me all summer." She said to me. "I know I'm still going to have issues but I feel more like myself, being back here."

She walked out of the room and I followed her. When we got back to our room Aurora went to take a shower and I used a spell to unpack my things like she did in her room. When all of my things were where they needed to be put away I started to change into clothes to sleep in. I pulled my shirt off and my black dress pants. I stood in just my boxers looking for a pair of sweatpants. Aurora came out of the bathroom and I jumped, crossing my arms to hide my tattoo.

"What's the matter?" She asked.

"Oh nothing." I said quickly. "Uh, I was just looking for a certain shirt to wear but maybe it didn't make it into my trunk."

Aurora looked at me puzzled.

"I'm pretty sure you packed almost everything in your dresser." She said to me, crossing her arms.

I panicked trying to think of a way out of this. I looked her over, she was wearing one of my long sleeve quidditch shirts.

She must be cold, that's the only reason she wearing long sleeves right?

"You know what?" I chuckled. "You're wearing the shirt I was looking for, I'm just a little cold. It's kind of cold in here."

She seemed to believe what I said.

"Oh, I always sleep in your shirts, you know that. Do you want me to change out of this one for you to wear?" She asked.

"No no that's okay. I just won't wear one, that's usually what I do anyway, you know." I said walking towards the bathroom. "I'm just going to brush my teeth, uh I'll shower before we have classes in the morning."

Why was a babbling like this to her?

I went into the bathroom and shut the door. I exhaled deeply, looking at myself in the mirror. My eyes made their way to the mark on my arm. I looked from the mirror to my actual arm, I felt anger boiling inside of me. I turned the sink on and grabbed a rag and tried to scrub off the tattoo for probably the 100th time since I got it. My skin became red the harder I scrubbed my arm.

"Draco?" Aurora asked on the other side of the door.

I jumped and threw the rag.

"Yes, darling?" I asked, trying to seem calm.

"Is everything okay?" She asked.

"Yeah, yeah it's fine. I'll be out in just a second." I told her.

"Okay." I heard Aurora say and heard her footsteps walk from the door.

I pulled my wand out of the waistband of my sweatpants and put the tip to my arm, I whispered the spell to make it disappear and watched the snake vanish from my arm. I looked at my bare arm in the mirror again.

If only this was permanent. I thought to myself.

I opened the door and went to sit on the bed and talk with Aurora before going to sleep.