33.

I was still half asleep when i pulled myself out of bed. Today was important for me and for Kate.

I was incredibly nervous which was something that i haven't felt in a while.  I had taken the entire day off which is a rare occurrence to me. As a doctor you're almost all the time in the hospital even during the holiday's.

"You're up early for someone who doesn't need to work." Luke said when i came downstairs.

"I'm meeting Kate's biological mom today."I said as i poured myself a cup of coffee.

"I wish you good luck mate. I hope she wants to talk to you and eventually Kate."

The reason that i wanted to go so early was to make sure that she was still at home. Most people leave for work around 8 so i wanted to be there before that time.

I chugged my coffee and left the house. I wasn't worried about the carride because it wasn't that far away.

After almost and hour i arrived at an old apartment complex. The front door was open which was unusual for these things.

Hesitantly i walked inside. The elevator looked like it was going to fall apart at any moment so i decided to take the stairs.

Mandy had told me that it was on the second floor. Once i got there i walked all the way to the last door in the hallway.

I took a deep breath in before knocking on the door.

It took a while before i finally heard some noise behind the door. Not even a second later a woman opened the door. She looked exactly like the pictures Kate had showed me. She had brown hair and kind eyes. She truly looked like Kate's mom.

She appeared to be a bit scared which i totally understood. I was wearing my casual clothes, a hoodie with a beanie and skinny jeans. She probably thought i was some weird guy who had followed her home or something.

"Can i help you?" She asked.

"You don't know me but I'm your daughter's doctor. I'm here because she needs your help." I said to her.

She shook her head. "I don't have a daughter."

I gave her an confused look because i knew that she was the right person. I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and showed her a picture of Kate. "Is Kate not your daughter?"

She went quiet for a second. She then looked my up and down before opening the door all the way. "Come in."

"Thank you."

I stepped inside her a apartment and was a bit shocked by the state it was in. There where stacks of old newspapers everywhere, dirty clothes on the floor and there was almost no sunlight in the room due to the curtains being shut.

"Can i get you anything? A coffee or some thee?" She asked as she walked into the kicthen.

"I would like some coffee please." I said politely as i sat down on the stained couch.

Her life didn't look that different for how Kate told me it used to be.

She came into the living room and handed me my coffee before sitting down in a big chair opposite form the couch.

"Thank you..?"

"I'm Mabel." She said with a smile.

"I'm Calum."

"How did know who i was Calum?" She aksed.

"Kate told me about you and how she hadn't been able to contact you. So i had a conversation with Mandy who is currently taking care of her and she gave me this adress." I explained to her.