Un

The smell of antiseptic and alcohol permeated the air. I sat on the hard chair and waited for the doctor to come and tell me the news. What would I do if I was given an answer I wasn't expecting? I intertwined my fingers nervously and felt as my heart beat began to race. My legs began to twitch nervously, I was a hot mess of nerves and I just wanted to hightail it out of there. As I began to feel the familiar stirrings of unease and anxiety try to worm their way into my brain, I heard a hard knock on the door followed by a swift opening. A female doctor came in with what I assumed were my tests results. My heart began to beat faster. 

"You're pregnant." The doctor said without preamble, as she looked at me with a sweet smile on her face, congratulating me on my unexpected news.

"I, uh what?" I asked stunned, not sure if I had heard her correctly, maybe she had made a mistake.

How could this have happened? I looked around the room, the pale blue walls, the eggshell colored door, and a panic began to form around me. I wrung my hands in my nap nervously, feeling the edges of anxiety crawl up my body. Slowly, I felt my breathing hitch faster and faster. She had to be lying to me, there was no way those results were true. 

"You're pregnant Regan. Your blood tests confirm it. Now, you have to schedule an appointment with your gynecologist, they'll be able to tell how far along you are, and what precautions, vitamins you should be taking from now until the baby is born. Do you have any other questions?" The doctor replied matter-of-factly.

As if she hadn't just given me life changing news. As if my world was crashing down on me. I gulped, as a lump tried to form in my throat. I had many questions, too many, but none that she could answer. My life had just been turned upside down and she was looking at me like I had won the lottery or something. I had to get out of here, this information was too much for me to process in this moment. I got up to take my leave, but I felt myself get dizzy. So I grabbed onto the chair I had been sitting on to steady myself, but the truth of her words came back instantly.

"I.. I excuse me, are you sure..?" I stuttered, then my vision became blurry, the last words I heard were of the  doctor asking if I was okay, then all I saw was black.

"Regan? Regan, can you hear me, are you okay?" I heard her melodious voice, as I felt my eyes flutter open.

I groaned out, wincing slightly. What the hell had happened? My head felt like someone had taken a mallet to it. I opened my eyes fuzzily, adjusting to the bright light around me. I had my legs in the air, and I could smell the faint scent of alcohol under my nose. I looked around and found myself in familiar surroundings. I was still in the doctor's office. Oh great, I passed out. What a spaz. I groaned inwardly, to myself. 

"Ah, Regan. I take it, you were not expecting the news you got?" Dr. Turner asked me seriously.

"No, I wasn't. You threw me for a loop there. But I don't understand how I could be, I haven't been feeling any sort of pregnancy symptoms, I just came here for a routine checkup, not to have my life turned upside down! I.. I don't know what I'm going to do." I replied anxiously, my voice rising an octave.

"Well, like I said, you have to speak with your gynecologist, but I want you to be aware that you have options Ms. Hargrove. You are still in the very early stages of your pregnancy, about eight weeks or so."

"Options?" I asked curiously.

"Yes, you can schedule a termination if you would like, if you feel you that is the best decision for you." She said cavalierly.

"Excuse me?" I asked incredulously. Why was that always the first "option" that doctors told a woman if she had questions about an unplanned pregnancy? Always assuming that they all wanted to terminate their pregnancies. Ugh.