Life Saver

LIFE SAVER

Gone were the days when he felt heavy and the mere breathing took up all his energy. Jinwoo pressed his palm on his chest and silently mouthed a thank you to the original owner of his new heart.

"Where do you want to go, Jinwoo-ya? Let's celebrate your healing," his dad, who was driving the car, asked him. They were coming home after his final check-up with his cardiologist.

Jinwoo had a soft smile on his lips. He leaned further on the backseat and thought of an answer.

"Should we go to Ggotji beach?" his dad suggested.

"No," disagreed his mom in the passenger's seat. "Jinwoo isn't fond of the water, let's go somewhere else."

'You're beating fast again,' Jinwoo whispered to his heart before saying, "I want to go to the beach, mom."

"Are you sure?" his mom asked him with a tone of worry. She turned to him as she waited for his response.

Jinwoo nodded, enthusiastic. "Yes. Let's go to Ggotji tomorrow."

"Mino hyung! Mino hyung!"

Mino was about to do a roundhouse cutback when Seungyoon distracted him causing his surfboard to crash to the wave, instead of ride it. He fell out of it too and into the water.

"Mino hyung!"

"This kid," Mino muttered under his breath before swimming to the shore with his board.

Seungyoon approached him as he was getting up. "Hyung, I got a call from Nurse Seunghoon. He said the recipient of Mrs. Han's heart got cleared today. He's well now."

Mino kept an indifferent expression. "Is that all?"

"Huh? Aren't you glad? Aunt saved his life. Aren't you interested to meet Kim Jinwoo?" Seungyoon asked.

Mino knew it was a mistake to let him find out the name of the patient who received his aunt's heart. He had a hunch that Seungyoon would want to meet him, and right then, his hunch was coming to life. "No," he answered.

Honestly, Mino felt bitter at how that Kim Jinwoo was given a second chance to live normally while their sweet Mrs. Han was taken away from them so instantly.

"My aunt's happy now for sure, knowing that Kim Jinwoo's starting to live well, thanks to her."

"I don't care." Mino left his younger friend after saying that to go back to surfing. The beach was close to guests that day so he can spend it without having to worry about anyone, and save them when they started drowning.

Mino looked up at the clear blue sky. 'It's unfair,' he thought. 'We can save the lives of people we don't know, but not those we love.'

"Are you sure you'll be fine?" Jinwoo's mom asked him. They were traveling to Ggotji. They planned to stay there for the whole weekend, but his parents had an urgent work engagement so Jinwoo will have to go alone. "We can cancel and go back next weekend."

"Mom, I'm well now. I've been depending to you and dad for so long. Let me depend on myself now. Besides, it's just two days and I have you on my speed dial."

His mom sighed. "You can't blame me. You gave us quite a scare."

Jinwoo held his Mom's free hand. That day, it was only the two of them. His mom was driving him to the beach. "I know and I'm sorry for that, and you don't have to worry now."