Brothers and Isobel part 3

The next day Elena walked into the school, having promised Bonnie she would meet her in the English classroom.

"Hey, thanks for meeting me." Bonnie smiled as she leafed through Emily's grimoire. "I wanted you to see this."

"Is that Emily's witches' cookbook?" Elena asked as she sat down by Bonnie.

"I've been going through it since Grams died." Bonnie said and showed her an open passage in the book. "Check this out."

"That's the vampire compass." Elena hummed as she looked closer at the pages.

"Yeah, according to Emily, Jonathan Gilbert never actually managed to successfully invent anything. Emily secretly spelled them all with magic." Bonnie sounded very proud of her ancestor as she flipped a couple of pages to show the device everyone was so interested in. "Compass, ring and the mystery device you told me about."

"Yeah, that's it." Elena looked at the device depicted in the book. "Damon only has the one piece of it."

"While Emily pledged her loyalties to Kathrine, she couldn't stand by and watch innocent people get killed." Bonnie tried to keep the righteousness out of her voice but Elena caught it anyway. "This was the only way she could think of to help. To let Jonathan Gilbert believe that he'd actually invented these devices."

"Does it say what it does?" Elena asked but if she remembered correctly it stopped vampires by making a high-pitched sound only someone with supernatural hearing could hear, or something like that.

"Are you sure this is what Isobel wants?" Bonnie asked after she read through the pages.

"Yeah I'm sure." Elena nodded. "Why?"

"This is a weapon." Bonnie said. "Against vampires."

A while later Elena and Bonnie had rejoined the float preparations and Elena was walking around looking for Stefan outside the school when Jeremy walked up to her.

"Elena." Jeremy smiled at her.

"Hey Jeremy." Elena looked around. "Have you seen Stefan?"

"No, not lately." Jeremy shrugged. "Want me to help you look?"

"That would be appreciated, thank you." Elena smiled in thanks.

"We'll split up so we can cover more ground." Jeremy kissed on the cheek and started to leave. "I'll call if I find him."

"Thanks Jeremy." Elena called after him, then she turned around to see Isobel standing right there.

"Isobel." Elena sneered. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm your mother, Elena." Isobel smiled condescendingly at her. "I want to be more involved in your life."

"Pull the other one, it has bells on it." Elena snorted. "And even if that was true, I don't want you in my life."

"I understand that. You already have a lot of people you care about but I've been studying you" Isobel smirked.

"Stalker alert." Elena muttered

"Let's see if I got this right." Isobel looked over at Bonnie. "There is the witchy best friend, Bonnie. Going to stay away from that one." She looked the way Jeremy had left. "Little brother Jeremy." Then she turned to watch Caroline. "And there's Caroline...obnoxious Caroline. I got all my info from her by the way. She had no idea who I was and she wouldn't stop yapping."

"Oh, she knew who you were." Elena smirked. "So, how sure are you that the information she gave is accurate?"

"And then there's Matt, friend, ex, yappy's future ex." Isobel tried to hide the uncertainty in her voice. "Lots of connections there."