17

THE WHOLE PLACE WOULD PROBABLY look grander on screen. Because what I saw was five tall rows—each row different heights—of plastic chairs labeled with numbers on them, all the way from the number ninety-nine to one. The seat labeled with number one was more like a throne than a chair, at the very top of every other row. And here's how it worked, each group, or individual, when they come in they'll choose a seat that they think is their level—Which I thought pointless—and then they sit at it. None of the instructors come out until all the girls are here, and then that's when the real level grading starts when we see them performing. The levels are these groups, from group F all the way up to group A. Except group A can only have a certain amount of people, so when the group A spots all fill up, other later group A chosen ones have to battle one of the other already in group A spot to try and get the spot. There will be concerts and after each concert, there will be a game of elimination. And every time after the elimination, the level choosing happens again, so you won't be stuck at one group forever (Unless you made no improvement that is). And in-between there will probably be tiny changes but those weren't of too much importance.

We sit in another room, not too far away from the rows of chairs and large platform stage that'll later be used when the girls perform. A TV, what the other cameramen are filming to let us see, are reactions of each girl coming in. I twirl around with my hair that's been neatly curled, and I try not to acknowledge half of the cameramen crew near us. It's already been an hour, and I was getting a little stiff from waiting. I yawned, tired from all the folder reading from last night, but not just that, Mason had also made me read the packet information.

"Hey."

Nathan Ma nudges my arm, getting my attention. I was already getting sick of him.

"What?"

"I heard some of these girls are known for C-Pop already, but they're choosing this show to restart their career or something. Don't you feel threatened? Seeing that some of these people that's all older than you and more experienced?"

His voice is below a whisper, the words obviously none of the cameras can catch. But I can feel the cameras pointing at us, and I smile back in return like we're discussing something interesting.

I answer him in the same hushed and quiet voice. "Well, no. Because age does not determine skill or one's experience, if that's what you're assuming."

He's about to say more when the director yells transition and notifies us all the girls have arrived.

I get up, brushing off imaginary dust on my short cut black dress and tidy my shirt. I can feel the cameras focusing on me, and I start walking off toward the entry of the stage with a sort of grace that I know will be on the screen soon.

The girls all start screaming and clapping when all of us instructors arrive. One by one we introduce ourselves to them and what instructor we're being on this show.

"Hi, everyone. I'm 孙雪莉 (Sun Xue Li), also known as Maeve Sun Lively——"

"Oh my gosh! I love you Xue Li!" One of the girls screamed.

I smile at the sudden interruption, the other instructors chuckling along.

"Well, I'm going to be your dance instructor on this show, hopefully throughout the next few months we'll get to know each other better."

I step back to let Jenny talk, but the girls are still screaming in this loud cheerfulness. And to be honest, I was enjoying it.

We took about half an hour getting ready, me and the instructors sitting right in front of the first row, where a long table is in front of us that'll fit the four of us perfectly. We set down our papers and I take a sip of the bottled water that's been arranged at the seat with my name.