45

SO THAT'S HER SECRET ISN'T it? Her secret is she had a family bigger than Cameron and herself. Her secret is that her true love is Klarise Kong and not Cameron Li. That's...it? Why did she keep it a secret her whole life then?" I stood up from my chair, stretched a little, then looked at Rosalie.

She had paused the recording, as it is already around five p.m. in the afternoon and...I have a feeling she had something coming up.

She put her bottle of whiskey in a cabinet, and when she's done she finally looks up at me. "Are you a story writer?"

I wasn't expecting that, but Rosalie, only in the few days I've known her in person, has always taken me by surprise. "What?"

She lifts her empty cylinder glass, fingers examining it as a crow might examine its food "Don't you story writers have all kinds of possibilities and imaginations in your head? That things aren't always as simple as it—well, no, not always as how it seems. But just more complicated. Never simple, you know?"

I take up my laptop and my notes, but Rosalie gestures a small movement with her hand, probably meaning for me to put it down. And I do.

"We'll come back later soon, you don't need to bring it back and forth." She then looked down at the chair I had sat on, the blanket she had draped over me from last night was still there. Her eyes linger on it before coming back to me. "So it's more complicated than that, Izzy."

I could understand why Klarise had wanted to keep things quiet in 2020 when she had first left Maeve. They were both just starting their career, but more importantly, they were in a country that weren't so open about same sex relationships. Klarise couldn't risk her career, so she left. But what confuses me is this has not—and I mean not even one bit, been leaked to the press or the outside world. No one knew. And instead they've been kept as rivals and nemesis for years, not even friends. Why? They were in the U.S. by then, things were more open there. And even though same sex marriage hasn't been made legal yet in China now, as the years went by things did get better and people were starting to become more open about it. It wasn't like it was in the 1960s or something.

For some reason, even though it shouldn't be my business, I do feel a little down to find out that Cameron and Maeve weren't actually in love. But exactly how long have I been seeing them as relationship role models? It comes as a great disappointment to know that it was all fake, but on the other hand it keeps me wondering. What were all those dramas with her and Cameron that was leaked then? What about that miscarriage? Their wedding? And what about...me? How did Maeve end up having me?

"No worries, all your answers will be answered soon."

I break away from my daze of thoughts and realize my expression must've been written all over my face for everyone to read.

Right when I'm about to say something, Rosalie walked over to me. And I mean she really did walk over to me, willingly and without a reason. At least a reason I don't know yet.

Her face that's always been so hard seeming softens at the corners of her eyes just a little. And she puts her hand on my shoulder. I feel too surprised to say anything.

"I want you to help me with something if that's alright."

Did I hear that right?

"Will you get Carlise for me?"

I blinked at her several times. "Get Carlise?"

Her hand came away from my shoulder and she started toward the doorway of the study room. Her back faces me as she stands there, but then she turns around and her hazel eyes make a small glow with the afternoon orange sunlight hitting in and reflecting on me. "Actually...just be there next to me when I get her, will you do that?"