Chapter 8

Rita's pov

Life goals.

Many people had life goals, something they desired and wanted to accomplish in life.

Though, life goals differed from person to person. Some people chased their dreams and tried to make them come true. Some tried to get richer while others only tried to survive.

I always envied people with life goals. They had a purpose in life. I never had a life goal, because my life was a schedule, planned by my father. He always chose what my next step in life was going to be.

And I followed his decision, like a good daughter. Now, I would marry Nicolai, like he wanted me to do.

Standing in my white dress, I still hoped that a miracle would happen, leading that I didn't have to marry Nicolai.

Looking at my reflection in the mirror, I adored my wedding dress, it looked so white and shiny, in contrast to my olive skin.

The color 'white' was standing for purity, innocence and lightness. I felt pure and innocent, because I haven't experienced life outside this mansion. And I knew I'd never be free as there was no escape for me. I'd always be in a castle, like Rapunzel.

Also, I knew that I wouldn't feel pure and innocent anymore at the end of the night, because I knew he would tarnish my soul, taint my body, and play with my mentality for his own wicked pleasure.

I came back from my thoughts, hiding my emotion behind a straight face as the door opened and closed. Turning around, I saw my mother walking in and gasped as I saw her face.

"M-Mother? What happened?" I asked, stammering, carefully touching her red cheek.

"I am so sorry, my baby. I tried, I really tried to convince him and begged him not to marry you off to Nicolai, b-but-" she muttered with her hand over her mouth.

"You tried to stop him for me," I smiled sadly with tears in my eyes, hugging her. If there was a single person in this world, caring for me, then it was my mother.

"But I failed, I'm so sorry ..." She hugged me back, sobbing. "I'm sorry I couldn't protect you." Unfortunately, we were both powerless against my father.

Grabbing her face, I made her look at me. "Please stop crying, l'll be fine," I told her, wiping her tears away.

"We both knew this day would come. I know you want to protect me. Thank you for protecting me all my life from him as best as you could, but we both have to accept that you can't protect me anymore. We're at the end of the line, mother, and you have to let me go."

"I don't want to let you go, I love you my baby. I wish you could stay my baby forever, I wish I could hold you in my arms forever and never let you go," she whispered as tears streamed down her face.

Wiping her tears away, I hugged her, saying, "I love you." And I couldn't put the comfort I felt in her arms in words. As she was holding me tightly, I wished I was a baby again, clueless to the world and safe in my mother's arms.

But I knew my wish would come true if my dad would turn into a saint and this wedding would be canceled. I didn't have a Genie, fulfilling me my wishes. 🧞‍♂️

(A/N: if you don't know Genie, GO AND WATCH ALADDIN! And if you had a Genie, what'd your wish be?)

I only had my mom. Therefore, I stopped with my stupid wishes and closed my eyes, enjoying my mom's embrace as I knew I'd be deprived of her hugs from tomorrow on.

I opened my eyes and pulled from my mother away as the door swung open and a servant walked in. "Am I interrupting something?" he asked with a smile.

"No, you're not interrupting anything. Why are you here? Is there a problem?" my mother asked, looking down to hide her red cheek.