C H A P T E R 24

[24]

A L A S K A

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him standing in front of me with worry written all over his face

It was like when I was young. Every time I felt sick or had a nightmare he gave me that look. His eyes were slightly more open than usual and his bottom lip was quivering a little bit.

He would always bring me some chocolate or read me some book to make me feel better. The way he cared and worried for me was different to everybody else. He was always a bit more protective over me than others the others. He always felt what I felt and he knew when I wasn't feeling good, even when I lied. Though he never noticed the bruises. Or not enough of them.

Every time he had seen one, my mother always had an excuse for it. And he believed it, seeing as how I was to scared to open my mouth. That's how it always was and that's also how in the end my life went downhill.

I slapped his hands away and furiously wiped my tear stained cheeks in order to get rid of the tears that were still freely falling down my face.

"Are you-" he started but I cut him off.

"Thanks for the help, I guess. But I gotta go now. Don't tell anyone what happened," I snapped, slightly irritated that helped me.

It was all a show, right? Right. He didn't care. He just wanted to find more ways to break me again and again. But I won't let him succeed. He won't get to hurt me again.

"AK, please listen to me, ok?" he whispered, desperation lacing his voice.

My breath hitched.

"AK"

I clenched my fists.

"AK, I love you."

"AK, you're the best sister I could wish for."

"AK, I will always be there for you."

My expression hardened and my eyes narrowed at him with hatred.

"I promise."

He uncomfortably shifted from foot to foot and scratched the back of his head.

"AK, I hate you."

"You bitch."

"Whore."

"Slut."