41

Shannel

~~~~~~~~

Her body was frozen and her mind had gone blank.

She just stared at him as his eyes fell to the tie in his hands, instantly knowing it belonged to someone else.

She needed to think...fast.

It just seemed like everything had stopped, there were no sounds around them and as she tried to open her mouth and form words, her mind would tell her not to and she would close it again.

His eyes looked back up into hers and she could see everything she never hoped she would in them.

She already knew it was over, she just didn't know what to do.

"W-w-what are y-ou, what are you doing here?" she stuttered, somewhat faking a smile as she scrunched the tie in her hands and slowly hid it behind her back as if that would have made a difference.

"I came to see you." he replied, completely emotionless.

She thought maybe...just maybe he didn't think anything of it...so she played along.

"Oh...but um...i-i have to go to work, i...i can't, i can't miss my first day." she said, leaving the door open for him as she pretended to get herself ready, walking back and forth around the room making it look as though she was preparing herself.

The door closed slowly and he stood a few feet inside, watching her intently before taking his gaze around the room, looking for something....anything to prove him wrong about what he was thinking.

She inhaled deeply and turned to look at him, noticing the roses in his hands. Immediately regret washed over her and she just wished that she could go back in time...but as she always knew....wishes never came true.

"What are those for?" she smiled innocently, walking up to him but still keeping a distance.

"These..." he said, looking down at them. "These are for you." she smiled up at him and reached out to grab them only to see him retract his arm back.

"I can put them in a vase." she looked at him confused, reaching out for them again only to have him move them further away from her.

"Whose tie is that?" he spoke so fast, she barely had time to come up with an answer.

"Uh....w-...um.....it-it's not mine...i think room service must have-"

"I told room service not to disturb you the first night i booked this place, remember."

"Yeah...yeah, but um...i ordered something yesterday an-"

"Mmhmm" he cut her off, clenching his jaw as his eyes looked up at the ceiling and his tongue gently grazed his lightly cracked lips.

She knew what was coming....but she couldn't prepare herself for it.

"I'm gonna be late for work so-" she started, turning around as she began walking in the direction of the bathroom.

"There is no 'work' is there?" he asked, placing the bouquet of roses down on the side table by the door and walking over to the bed. She maintained eye contact with him but his seemed to be grazing the floor.

"Yeah, o-of course there is i-"

"I didn't hear the phone ring when you got the call." his eyes formed into slits as he carried on towards the bed, walking at a deadly slow pace.