76

Linlan was already quite close to the Chu clan's Falling Maple Leaf Valley. After returning to the Falling Maple Leaf Valley, Chu Yu prepared to set off for Tian Yuan Sect to resolve that troublesome matter.

When Chu Sheng heard that Chu Yu was leaving again, he got up from the bed where he had been recuperating and insisted on going with them, refusing to stay no matter what.

Chu Yu considered it for a moment. Tian Yuan Sect had placed a bounty on his head, and since this meant that it also concerned the reputation of the Chu clan, there was no harm in bringing Chu Sheng along. He snuck a glance at Xie Xi, who was pursing his lips and did not seem too happy with the arrangement. Chu Yu gave a light cough to dismiss Xie Xi before they all set off.

The three of them rode their swords to Tian Yuan Sect. As they drew near, Xie Xi glanced at Chu Yu's back and dawdled for a moment before he kept his sword and went over to hug Chu Yu's waist from behind. He sniffed when he saw Chu Sheng glaring at him and said with an aggrieved expression, "Shixiong, I'm tired..."

Chu Yu, "... Oh."

If he weren't here, Chu Sheng would have already drawn his sword...

He had yet been able to think about how to make these two get along when the light from a sword suddenly flashed before them. Chu Yu was startled, thinking that a cultivator was launching an attack on them because of that nuisance of a bounty. He was about to cast a spell with his hand when he heard an indifferent but firm voice coming from before him.

"Yu-er."

Chu Yu gave a start. "Shizun?"

He had not expected to meet Lu Qingan on their way to their destination.

Chu Yu looked over at Lu Qingan, who was still as cold as ever. But as he met those icy eyes while they seemed to be permanently emotionless, he could still see a trace of worry in them. Chu Yu felt guilty and lowered his head to greet his shizun.

Lu Qingan nodded his head as if nothing had happened. He did not mention the incident on Yuan Chen Peak either. Instead, his eyes fell on Xie Xi. "Xi-er, did you kill him?"

Xie Xi nodded obediently, although there was a sense of nonchalance in his eyes. He said, "I've wanted to kill him for a very long time."

Lu Qingan sighed. "Just as well."

He said no more as he brought them to Tian Yuan Sect.  

Chu Yu contemplated the matter for a moment. It was likely that Lu Qingan had been busy on the frontline in Jin He and, therefore, could not rush back immediately after having heard about the bounties placed on both Xie Xi and him. But yet, the first thing he did on his return to Jiao Xia was to head for the Chu clan. Gratitude and warmth washed over Chu Yu's heart. He quietly tugged on Xie Xi's sleeve and whispered, "How's the situation on the frontline?"

Xie Xi leaned over to Chu Yu's ear and lowered his eyes to look at that fair earlobe of his. His lips were nearly touching that ear, and his breath felt warm.. Chu Yu almost fell off his sword as he went weak in the knees. Xie Xi smiled at seeing him so overwhelmed. He glanced at Chu Sheng, who was now glaring at him furiously and felt even more pleased. He drawled, "The demonic cultivators are already goners."

The demonic cultivators had been plotting all these years to awaken Demon Lord Yan Heng. In doing so, they had squandered away vast amounts of manpower, material resources, and financial reserves. Demon Lord Yan Heng had also devoured several formidable cultivators as they recklessly approached him on the day they roused him. Now, their strength was significantly reduced as their gamble did not bear fruit.