87: EXTRA

Chapter 87 - Extra: That trivial matter between Shizun and Shen Nian

The sky was... blood red.

The yells and battling sound of the earlier battle lingered in his ears. Lu Qingan broke free of his Shizun's shackles and charged like mad to the battlefield strewn with corpses. He rummaged around in vain.

"Qingan, don't let me down." With a hand behind him, the Sect Master of Tian Yuan Sect sighed, then covered his mouth and coughed. He had been ambushed earlier, and his injuries had yet to heal. He had Lu Qingan locked up in the back mountain, but he had never expected Lu Qingan to rush out the moment he heard about the siege of Jing Hua Sect.

Lu Qingan pursed his lips and remained silent. There was another layer of anguish on his initially frosty expression. He was obsessed with cleanliness by nature, but now, he was flipping over corpses unreservedly. His mind was in a whirl.

... What if I found him?

His soul has already scattered...

What if I didn't find him?

Would that mean that there's not a single trace of him left in this world...

Each thought was like a sharp sword brutally stabbing his already battered heart. It hurt so much he was almost numb. The voice continued behind him, sighing.

"I know he saved you before, and since then he often sneaked into the sect to accompany you. You're close to each other, but you mustn't get yourself involved in the demonic cultivators' affairs..."

Lu Qingan's paused in his tracks. The chaos in his mind reached its peak, and his mind went blank. He gasped. Then, his body swayed and he suddenly fell to his knees. The black blood-stained soil was icy. A figure gradually materialized before Lu Qingan's eyes.

"... Shen Nian."

He finally opened his mouth. Pain laced his eyes. His voice was hoarse and trembling.

"Shen Nian... Shen Nian..."

"I'm here."

Lu Qingan was jolted awake.

He turned his head with an expressionless face and narrowed his eyes to see a smiling man leaning against him. The moonlight shone through the window and coldly pierced through his illusory body, giving him a clear, delicate appearance.

The smile at the corners of Shen Nian's lips deepened when he saw that Lu Qingan had woken up. He reclined with one hand propping up his chin and the other stroking Lu Qingan's face rascally. There were icy crystal tears on his slender fingers.

"Uh? An-an, why were you crying while calling out my name until you wake up? Do you miss me that much?"

Lu Qingan looked at him silently.

His soul was more or less nourished enough to return to his body after a few more days. But his soul had been wandering without consciousness for a hundred years, and those damaged memories were likely lost for good... Would a Shen Nian without his past memories still be Shen Nian?

But then, it was probably a relief to him to forget about the past...

"Shen Nian."