Chapter 2: Greeting Students

Disclaimer: everything besides Beverly and other characters that are not recognized by the readers belong to J. K. Rowling.
---///:;(());/--

3 years later

I am ten years old now. I got my certification of completion of all the classes that I have taken at the institute. I was happy. I have been working for Dumbledore since he gave me the offer. I knew everyone in the castle. They didn't like me at first. They saw me as a "filthy squib." I wasn't a normal squib though. I never showed them my abilities because I felt like I had nothing to prove. They started liking me when I kept healing their fellow quidditch members and house mates from near death experiences. I didn't heal any Slytherins though because they never got hurt.

All the teachers were really nice to me. I was very close to some of the teachers. I was close to Professor McGonagall. I saw her as a grandmother figure. Sometimes when I had time, she let me sit in her class. I found the transfiguration interesting even though I couldn't do it myself. Hagrid was nice. I even help him with the animals. I even met a fellow squib Filch. He wasn't that bad to be honest.

I had my very own room in the castle. It was located on the fourth floor behind a painting. It was a purple room with blue curtains. I had a fireplace, bathroom, a bed, a desk, and a bookshelf. I ate with everyone at the Great Hall even though the Slytherins felt that I shouldn't even be in the same room as them.

Dumbledore requested me to start working in September as well. I didn't mind. Usually I started in October so I never saw students being sorted into their houses. I was interested on how students were sorted into their houses. Some of the students explained to me that the sorting hat tells them the house they were going to be in. I remembered seeing the hat in Dumbledore shelf.

I was in my room getting ready for the students to come to school. I wore a white shirt with a purple robe. Dumbledore had a seamstress make my robes special for me. I had a black skirt and black shoes on. I looked at the mirror. "Well same as usual," I said to myself. I looked at the time it was 5:50 pm. "Time for me to go down," I said. I walked out of my room to get to the stairs.

I was walking down the stairs. I saw some of the students walking up the stairs. I ran into Percy Weasley. "Hi Percy," I said. "Hello Beverly. How was your summer?" he asked. "Its fine thank you," I said. "Don't you usually start working in October?" he asked me. "Dumbledore asked me to start working in September as well," I said. "Oh ok. See you at the Great Hall," he said. "Alright," I said and we parted ways.

The Great Hall was filled with students. I walked up to teacher's table as usual. Dumbledore saw me approach him. "Hello Beverly," he greeted me. "Hello Dumbledore," I greeted back. "I was wondering if you could go with Professor McGonagall to the front of the Great Hall to greet the first years and explain to them about their houses and such," he said. I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea. "Sure," I said. Professor McGonagall and I went out of the Great Hall to the stairs. We waited for the first years to arrive. Professor McGonagall told me the parts that I should tell the first years. I knew everything about Hogwarts. I have been working here for 3 years.

I heard giggles and talk below getting closer and closer. The first years came up the stairs and stopped in front of us. I gave them a smile. "Welcome to Hogwarts. Now in a few moments You will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you could take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses." She looked at me to tell them their houses.

"They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin," I told them. They stared at me. "Now while your here, your house will be like your family," Professor McGonagall said. She turned to me to tell them about the point system. "Your triumphs will earn you points. Any rule breaking and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded with the house cup" I said. "Trevor," I heard. I looked down and there was a toad. A boy came up and took his toad. Professor McGonagall and I just stared at the boy. "Sorry," he said and he walked down he starts.

"The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily. Beverly, can you watch them while I check to see if they are ready?" she asked. "Of course Professor McGonagall," I said with a smile. She gave me a smile and went back into the Great Hall.

I turned around and faced the first years. Some smiled back at me. "Its true then. What they're saying on the train," I heard. I turned and it was from a platinum blond hair boy. I didn't like the vibe that was coming out of him. From the way he looks and dress, I could tell that he was a pureblood.

"Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts," I heard. I heard about Harry Potter from some of the older students. Apparently, he was known as the boy who lived. He survived an attack from the Dark Lord. They don't say his name though. I guess his name would give people fear.

"This is Crabbe and Goyle," he said as he motion his head to the boys with him. "and I'm Malfoy, Draco Malfoy he said as he made his way in front of the boy with glasses who I guess was Harry Potter. I saw the boy with red hair smirk at the way Malfoy said his name.

"Think my name is funny do you. No need to ask yours. Red hair, and hamedown robe, you must be a Weasley," he said in disgust. I didn't like his tone. He turned his attention back to Harry. "You'll soon find out that other wizarding families are better than others Potter. You don't want to go making fronts with the wrong sort. I could help you there," Malfoy said. He gave his hand out to Harry. Harry looked at his hand for a second and turned his head back to look at Malfoy. "I think I can tell the wrong sort thanks," Harry said. Malfoy just stared at him. {Nicely said Harry.} I let out a breath.

Malfoy turned to me and looked at me in the eye. I wasn't really afraid of him. "What are you looking at you filthy squib," he said. I heard some of the students gasped. I was used to the name calling so it was nothing new.

I just stared at him.