Chapter twenty

Richard's POV

"Good morning, sunshine" I walked into the kitchen which smells heavenly. I should get used to this. I smile to myself.

"Good morning" she replied.
Wait, she blushing.
"You're blushing"
"I'm not" she lied.
"You are"
"I'm not"
"It's right there on your cheeks" I point to her cheeks.
"It's not"
"Hmmm okay, if you say so. So what's for breakfast at Keji's Bites?"
"Moi moi or rather bean pudding, it's almost ready"
"I have not eaten that before but I know it will delicious like the rest of your food, I can't wait to try it"I said while sitting down on the dinning table in the kitchen.

"While we wait for it, I want to ask you something" she said.
"Go on"
"How did you find me that night you came for dinner? And how did you know what my stepmother was doing?"
"I followed you from the supermarket. Okay, I'm not a stalker or a weirdo but I wanted to see you and I didn't know what she was doing, I felt I should tell you goodbye before I left so I walked back inside and heard you screaming. Please tell me why she did that" I stretched my hand to touch hers
"Tell me your story"

She looked reluctant and I tried to give her my best puppy dog eyes.
Ah, Richard what are you? Twelve?

"Okay" she surprised me.
"What?"I asked clearly not hiding my surprise.
"I said okay but I'll tell you over breakfast"
She stood up to check the food and I noticed she's still wearing that long ass night gown.

  Soon enough, breakfast was ready and I listened intently as she told me everything.
Poor girl.
Something doesn't add up though, her stepdad and her mum died around the same time.

"Who manages your stepdad's companies?" I asked.
"My stepmother's siblings and soon, her daughter will while she handles one. Why do you ask?"
"Do you believe your stepmum is capable of murder?" I asked again and she looks offended.
"No, she's abusive and a terrible person but she's not a murderer. How dare you say that?" She raises her voice at me.
"Sorry, I was just asking" she's too innocent to see it but I'll find evidence.
I have to.

"What are you thinking about?" She asked me dragging me away from my thoughts.
"Nothing"I lie.
"Look, I don't want you to pity me, I..."
"Pity you?" I laugh "I know you can handle yourself so why will I pity you?"
"I'm going to shower" I say standing up.
She calls after me but I just keep walking away without turning back. I want to think and being here with her right now won't help.

  After a long shower, I dress in a plain black t-shirt, shorts and canvas.
I just want to take a stroll. I don't have any meeting today. I walk out through the front door but I feel her eyes on me while she sits on the couch.

I'm not mad at her, I just believe her stepmum is a murderer and I need to protect Keji from her.

This girl is gradually slipping into my thoughts and I don't know how to feel about it.
I notice the little things about her like how she uses her left hand more than the right, how she rearranges almost everything I thought and I'm damn neat so I think she has OCD or she's just used to cleaning, how she wakes up really early and when I tell a joke her eyes brighten up a little but saddens back.
She's short but wears long clothes a lot.
Okay, I'm becoming obsessed with her.

  I walk back home with zero result at thinking of anything except her. I walk in and guess what she's wearing? Another long gown. It sickens me.
She covers her face with her hands before I look at it.
"What are you doing?" I ask.
"Make up?" It comes out like a question.
"Can I see?" I ask politely.
"No"
"Please"
She removed her hands. I stifle a laugh.

"Do you want my honest opinion?"
"No" she replied.
"You look hideous" I burst out laughing. She covers her face again.
I walked over to her and removed her hands but with all that hideousness on her face, I wanted no, needed to kiss her and I did.
I kissed her.

Hi lovelies.
Please vote, comment and share 🙏.
Abeg support your girl.