the new kid

The next morning we all sat at our regular spot at the Slytherin table. This time, Daphne, Blaise, Astoria and Theo sat on one side and I sat on the other. There were two large empty spots next to me because no one dared to sit with me. Everyone thought I was rude and arrogant, and they're right. I am both of those.

After we compared our timetables to see that we all had the same classes, Theo cleared his throat. "So, I have something to tell you guys." he announced awkwardly. Astoria looked up at him with a confused face. "What's wrong?" she asked worriedly. He shook his head slightly and furrowed his brows before clearing his throat again. "Nothings wrong. I just uh- well. I have a brother." he stammered.

Everyone sighed in relief, but I just rolled my eyes. "Well? What's that got to do with anything, Theo?" I queried. Theo sighed and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "He's been at Durmstrang for the past two years because my parents worried about his... behavior. Anyways, today's his first day and I would appreciate it if you guys could be welcoming. By 'you guys' I mean you, Cynthia." he explained exhaustedly.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes, letting him know that I didn't care what he said. He gave me a pleading look and I sighed, giving in."Fine, I'll be nice." I said through gritted teeth. Theo gave me a small smile in return.

I was about to ask when he would be arriving when Dumbledore made his way to the podium in front of everyone in the Great Hall.

"Everyone, please settle down. I have an announcement." he called loudly. Everyone got quiet and turned their attention to him.

"We have a new student transferring from Durmstrang Institute. Please welcome Mr. Jackson Nott!" he exclaimed. The doors to the Great Hall opened and in walked McGonagall with a boy behind him.

All I heard next were whispers of girls throughout the Great Hall.

"He's so hot!"

"I bet he's in Slytherin! A bad boy!"

"Theo's brother?"

I snickered at the last one and turned to Theo. "I think he's going to be welcomed just fine. Don't you, Theo?" I asked with an evil smirk. Theo rolled his eyes and turned back to the front of the Great Hall, where Jackson was about to get sorted.

He walked up to the stool and McGonagall placed the sorting hat on to his head.

"Hm... very witty. Ambitious, too. You have a knack for self-preservation. SLYTHERIN!" the hat exclaimed.

Jackson grinned and looked over to the table, and once he locked his eyes on Theo he strutted over. I looked at Theo as I took a bite out of my green apple, and we just held eye contact.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a figure sit next to me. "Hello, brother." Jackson said. Theo grinned and tossed a grape at his brother. "Hello, mate. Nice to see you again." he said with a smile. I looked down in my lap and began to read my book. Jackson nodded and looked at Blaise, Astoria and Daphne. "Aren't you going to introduce me?" he asked expectantly.

Theo cleared his throat and nodded. "Right." He pointed to Astoria first. "This is Astoria Greengrass. She's my girl, so sod off." He warned. Jackson nodded once in understanding. Theo then pointed to Blaise and Daphne. "This is Blaise Zabini, my best mate, and this is Daphne Greengrass, Astoria's sister and Blaise's girlfriend." He then flicked his finger towards me and popped a grape in his mouth. "Also, her best mate." he said. He then turned to all of us. "Mates, this is Jack. My brother." he added.

Astoria, Daphne and Blaise all said their hellos in which he returned before turning to me. "And who might this be?" he asked, still talking to Theo. "That, Jack, would be nothing but bad news and trouble with a hint of coldheartedness." he mocked. I had been reading my book the entire time, and I quickly snapped it closed and turned my attention to Theo.