yule ball

I walked into the Great Hall with Jack right by my side. The six of us took a seat at one of the empty tables and waited for the opening dance to begin. The champions and their dates would have the first dance.

"Would you like something to drink?" Jack whispered as he leaned in closer to me. I tore my attention off of an ice sculpture to Jack. "Butter-beer please." I requested with a tight lipped smile. He nodded before getting up and walking towards one of the refreshment tables.

I saw a familiar flash of curly light brown hair and furrowed my brows. She couldn't be here, could she? I excused myself from the table, not looking away from the patch of curly light brown hair, before standing up and walking towards it.

As I walked closer towards the crowd of people, everyone split like the red sea. I stood there for a second, taken aback before walking down the aisle of people and going towards the person, ignoring the murmurs and whispers of everyone around me.

As I came up to the back of the person I immediately recognized her. "Beth?" I questioned. She turned her attention from Dumbledore and spun around to me.

She looked me up and down and a huge, genuine smile spread across her face. She put her hands over her mouth as she took in my appearance. "Cynthia! You look absolutely stunning!" she exclaimed as she pulled me into an embraced.

I laughed slightly at her reaction and hugged her back. "What are you doing here?" I asked, the smile still on my face. "I'm a chaperone." she explained. I let out a sound of realization.

"Well, I have to go take my seat. I'll see you next week." I said softly. She nodded before turning back to Dumbledore.

As I was drinking my butter-beer, the Champions walked through the doors. Everyone gathered around and made a pathway for them to walk down, and I stood in front in hopes of seeing my Hufflepuff.

He eventually passed me and gave me a subtle thumbs up while beckoning towards Chang, which caused me to laugh. It was nice to see him so happy. My smile suddenly fell when a thought occurred to me. If she hurts him, then this time I won't let anyone pull me off of her until I'm one hundred percent sure that her heart beat ceases to exist.

After Dumbledore gave a speech, we had a small feast. Once we were done eating, Jack held out his hand for me. "May I have a dance?" he asked with a charming smile. I smiled and nodded before placing my hand in his and letting him help me up.

We walked over to the dance floor and he placed his hands on my waist while my hands were slightly clasped together behind his head, over his shoulders.

"You really do look wonderful tonight, Cyn." Jack says softly as we sway slowly back and forth. "You do, too." I said.

He pulled me closer and started rubbing my waist with his thumbs slightly. I inhaled deeply, trying to calm my nerves down. I glanced around the room and my eyes fell on Malfoy. Our eyes met and we just stared at each other over the shoulders of our dates.

The eye contact was way too intense, but it somehow didn't make me uncomfortable. It actually made me more relaxed.

My gaze lowered and I saw Malfoy's hands on Parkinson's waist. I clenched my fists and bit down on my lip, hard. I wasn't jealous, I don't get jealous. I was angry.

Malfoy noticed my clenched fists and cocked a brow. He then sent me an evil grin before pulling Parkinson closer to him. So close, in fact, that she was now resting her fat head on his shoulder.

I ran my tongue over my teeth and rolled it against the inside of my cheek. That's when someone stepped in front of me and blocked my view of Malfoy and Parkinson.