normality

The past few weeks have been quite uneventful. I go to therapy and Dumbledore's office every Saturday, I go to my classes every day, I read every day, I sometimes stop by to see Beth when I'm alone during my free periods, etc.

I was sitting in the Library alone, reading my book. Cedric has been busy with preparing and training for the third task, so I had more alone time now. I looked up at the clock to see that dinner had started about five minutes ago. I put my book in my bag before pulling my strap up over my shoulder and leaving the library.

As I walked down the corridor, I realized I hadn't seen Malfoy in a few days. I shrugged off the thought and continued down a staircase. I walked down an empty corridor and went to turn the corner.

When I saw to bodies pressed up against each other's, I was going to just ignore it until I recognized them. I came to a sudden halt and slapped my hand over my mouth in shock.

Malfoy and Parkinson were pressed up against each other, aggressively kissing each other. Malfoy had one hand behind her neck, lightly tugging at her hair. Parkinson had both hands on Malfoy's chest, yanking his tie.

They suddenly came to a stop when they heard my hand slap my mouth, and they both snapped their attention to me. I shivered slightly before going to the right side of the corridor and walking down it, hoping they wouldn't say anything.

As I was walking past them, Malfoy turned around and almost said something, but I picked up my pace and practically jogged down the corridor.

I plopped down next to Jack on the bench in the Great Hall. "Daphne, you'll never guess who I just saw kissing in the hallway." I said. She cocked her brow up. "Malfoy and Parkinson." I said, biting my lip to hide a smile.

Her jaw dropped opened and her eyes got comically wide. "No fucking way!" she exclaimed. I nodded my head slowly.

"Malfoy and Parkinson?" Blaise queried, as if making sure he heard me correctly. I nodded my head and he hummed. "I thought for sure he liked-"

Theo punched Blaise in the shoulder, causing him to hiss in pain. "That was a dick move, Theo."

"Hey. It was either my fist to your shoulder or Malfoy's fist to your jaw." Theo claimed. Blaise shrugged before turning back to Daphne and continuing their conversation.

I turned and talked to Jack for a few minutes to catch up.

I was listening to Jack go on about how he fancies Luna when I felt someone sit down behind me. I slowly turned around and came face to face with Malfoy. "Can I speak with you?" he asked, giving me a blank stare.

"No." I said before turning back to my plate.

Malfoy let out an aggravated sigh and looked at his empty plate.

'Its not what it looked like.'

'Why are you explaining yourself to me?'

'I don't really know.'

'Do whatever you want, Malfoy. I don't care what you do, or what you say, who you talk to or who you kiss. That's your business, not mine. You've only been hanging around because of our little sessions with Dumbledore, I completely understand.'

'Quit trying to victimize yourself right now. I'm trying to explain something to you and you won't fucking listen. Quit being so damn stubborn.'

'Malfoy, I'm warning you.'

'No. I'm warning you. You said you needed time after your father died. I gave you time. You don't get to get pissed at me for this. This is your fault. Maybe if you didn't insist on needing space-'

'Don't ever fucking speak to me again. Do you hear me? Don't sneak into my damn brain, don't talk to me in person, don't come within 10 feet of me.'

I shot up and pulled my bag over my shoulder. "See you later." I mumbled to my group before storming out of the Great Hall.

Everything was back to normal. We were back to not speaking to each other. This is good. This will be good.

When I got to my room, there was a letter sitting on my bed. I picked up the letter and hesitated before opening it and reading it.

Cynthia,

Hello, darling. I hope you're doing well. I know we haven't talked since your father passed, and I wanted to make sure you were doing okay. I'm doing okay, in case you were wondering. I've been spending more time with Cissy, she's been a big help. I miss you so much, and I can't wait to see you. I've noticed you got back up to all O's, that's great. I'm proud of you, and I know your father would be, too. Happy belated birthday. Write me back soon.

X,
   Mum

I smiled down at the letter and placed it inside my drawer before pulling out a piece of parchment and grabbing my quill.

Mother,

Hello. I'm doing well, thank you. It's good to know that you're doing better as well. I was worried at first, I'll admit, but I'm glad you're well. Tell Cissy I say hello, and thank her for me, for taking care of you while I'm here at Hogwarts. I miss you as well, and I can't wait to come home. I've been studying more, so it's good to know that it's paying off. Thank you for the birthday wishes. See you soon.

X,
   Cynthia

I folded the letter and put it in one of the Morningstar envelopes before writing 'Mother' on it and walking over to Alice. I tied the letter to her leg and said "To mother at Morningstar Manor." and opening the window.

I watched as she flew further and further away before grabbing a book and plopping down on my four-poster bed.

When Daphne and Astoria got back to our dorm, I was using my wand to conjure a miniature lighting storm in front of my bed.

When the door flung opened, I lost my concentration and the lightning storm went away. "So, how are we feeling about the Malfoy thing?" Daphne asked as she plopped down on her bed.

"Eh, I don't really care."

"What do you mean you don't care?" Astoria questioned.

"I just don't, I don't know." I shrugged.

"Well what are you going to do now?" Daphne queried.

"It's not like we were dating or anything. He just made a big deal out of it and so I told him not to talk to me anymore." I explained casually.

Daphne sighed and ran her hands over her face. "Back to square one." she mumbled to Astoria, who huffed.