gown

Mother,

  A yule ball is being held at Hogwarts. If you could, would you please send me a gown and heels? I trust you to pick out a gown that won't make me look absolutely ghastly. It's also held on Christmas, so I assume I'll be staying here for the Holidays. I'll owl you when I know for certain. Tell father I say hello.

X,
   Cynthia

I folded the parchment and put it in an envelope before slipping it into my bag. Cedric and I were in the library, so I had to wait until later tonight to send it. "Ready to go?" he asked, looking up from his book. I nodded my head before putting my things into my bag, as does he.

We stood up and made our way out of the library. It was Saturday, so I had therapy, then dinner and then Dumbledore's office. How marvelous.

We finally reached the familiar room and I waved goodbye to Cedric before walking in. I looked around to see that Beth was nowhere in sight. I heard a small noise from the kitchenette and realized she must be in there.

I took a seat on the same couch I always sat in and waited for Beth. She eventually entered the living space with a book flat on her palm, a cup of tea on top of it, and a platter of pastries in her other hand.

As she walked out of the kitchenette, her back is to me. She placed her things on the table and then turned around towards me to place the pastries on the coffee table. "Oh! Cynthia! Hello, hey, hi!" she beamed.

"Hi, Beth. What are you doing?" I questioned as she placed the platter of pastries down. "Oh, I made green apple pastries! I know you enjoy green apples and pastries, so I decided to make you some green apple pastries." she explained, gesturing to the pastries.

I cocked a brow and leaned forward, grabbing a pastry. I took a bite out of it and gave Beth an impressed look. "They're delicious, Beth. Thank you." I said before finishing the rest of the pastry. She nodded with a smile.

"Here, let me read your journal while you eat." she said, holding out her hand. I reached into my bag and grabbed my journal before handing it to her and turning my attention back to the pastries.

After a few short minutes, Beth closed the journal. "That Malfoy boy, he sure makes you mad, doesn't he?" she asked skeptically.

"Mad, angry, pissed off, enraged, furious, livid." I listed casually. She nodded slowly, thinking.

"I think you fancy him." she blurted. I gasped, allowing a small piece of my pastry to get lodged in my throat. I hit my chest and cough repeatedly until I could breathe again.

"The day I fancy Draco Malfoy is the day someone needs to send the killing curse my way." I snarled. Beth shook her head slowly, a smile tugging at her lips. I pretended I didn't see the smile.

Our conversation soon turned very dark; very sad. "One minute I'm content. I'm content with life and I'm not angry. The next minute, I am angry. Majority of the time I'm neither. You ask me all the time how I feel, and I say I don't know because I genuinely don't know. I don't feel anything, Beth. That's why I hate when people ask me how I'm feeling, because I don't feel anything. There's no emotion. Ever." I ranted to a very pitiful looking Beth.

"And don't look at me like that. Don't pity me. If there's one thing I loathe more than that bimbo ferret boy, it's pity. I hate pity." I added with crossed arms. Beth nodded slowly.

"Can we just change the subject? I don't feel like talking about this anymore. Let's talk about my skin on skin contact problem thing whatever." I rambled. Beth let out a laugh and smiled at me. "Alright, alright." she said softly.