CHAPTER 12

🎶you know what, we grew on. we go back like futons and coupons🎶
-scott

Omniscient~

     IT was another rainy day

IT was another rainy day. Dark, cloudy, and gloomy. Again, it was one of Naija's most favorable types of weather but she couldn't enjoy it as much as she'd truly want to.

The text from her cousin was still on her mind and it lingered for hours. Her cousins always gave her unwanted stress but being farther away from them seemed to heighten it greatly. They're vengeful people for reasons unknown and she knew she wouldn't fit in right away.

Bear ran to her back and forth as she threw his rubber toy across the room, sending him to run over to get it before racing back to her for another go. She smiled, releasing it from in between his teeth, throwing it lightly into the distance again.

Bear barked lightly in happiness as she ruffled his fur, nuzzling her nose into his but moved back quickly as soon as he started licked at her skin. "Good boy." She smiled as the TV played lightly in the background.

Michael had been sleeping all day and was enjoying the warmth of his bed after days of not doing so due to sleeping on the couch for a while. He was shirtless and irritable—mainly because of King blowing up his phone all afternoon.

"King I already done told you I ain't doin' nothin' today."

She could hear his lazy voice on the other end mentioning something about money and weed before he kissed his teeth and held the phone up with his shoulder. "Do it yaself lazy ass. I ain't tryna get locked up ova shit no more."

He glanced at Naija who's been in a rather good mood all day despite the text she received and looked away briefly before looking right back at Naija whom he saw playing casually with Bear.

"Yeah, ight." He said into the phone, interrupting King's lazy ranting before hanging up and cocking a brow. "Jit?"

She looked up with a scare, not even realizing he was in the hallway leading to the bathroom—the one she'd usually use. She smiled lightly. "Hi."

"Am I seein' shit straight?" He wondered, squinting his eyes which were still narrowed upon previously waking up not too long ago. She furrowed her brows and looked around like a deer caught in the headlights. "Hm?"

He peered down at Bear, who, as soon as he saw him, came running towards him. "You playin' wit' Bear without all that girly shrieking 'n stuff?"

She smiled again and nodded with a short laugh with caught him off guard again. "Mmh. We're friends now." She replied before placing her finger in her mouth and whistled, making Bear run back over to her to be nuzzled.

It confused the living daylights out of him. "What the fuck?"

She laughed again with that same smile on her face that didn't seem too forced or uncomfortable. She seemed oddly happy today. They're both not morning people but she woke up long before Michael did. It's not unusual to smile once in a while but for her it was always quite a task doing so.