May He Come Back Safe Soon

ALEXIS' POV

Kenshin gave me the tour of his castle and then we ended up in his room. He asked me to help him relax by letting him rest his head on my lap.

"Let me lay my head on your lap."

Kenshin told me before my eyes widen with a surprised look on my face.

'First, Kenshin invites me in, now he wants me to be his pillow?!'

I shouted in my head. I snapped out of my thoughts and I looked at Kenshin again.

"Just so we're on the same page, you want to sleep on my lap?" I asked Kenshin.

"I won't if you don't want me to."

"Hold on, I never said that!"

'I wonder if he's just reluctant to admit he's tired to me?'

And could it be possible that, with a war coming, he might have been finding it hard to sleep? I swallowed my pride and then I said to him.

"Here, my lap is yours."

'I enjoy the idea of him getting rest. And if that's due to me? Well-'

Folding my kimono under me, I patted my lap for him.

"Thank you," He lay his head down and gradually relaxed beside me.

'This is the first time I've given someone a lap-anything. Maybe it doesn't mean much here? but, it's intimate. No denying that and it's with Kenshin.'

I thought to myself as I stared at Kenshin while Sora laid near beside him.

"How's that?"

"It feels nice," he looked up at me and his eyes were gentler than I'd seen before.

'If he was upset, it's passed. That's a good thing.'

Kenshin adjusted his head on my lap, continually seeking the perfect spot and I smiled. His hair spilt over me like many strands of light. I wondered if it felt like as silky as it looked.

'He looks so cutely defenceless! And he calls ME the rabbit!'

Kenshin curled closer, warm in my lap and helplessly adorable. I felt a pang in my chest.

'But what IS this? I've gone from like to love to melting over him!'

"Resting this way is peaceful."

"...He says with a frown but, I'm glad. It wasn't what I was expecting, myself."

"I didn't anticipate it would feel this way either. That's all."

He turned his eyes up to mine once more, a question in his.

"Earlier, you were talking. What were the men saying about me? I thought I'd let it go, but, it's bothering me. I want to know."

'He doesn't talk to them. Maybe I've sparked some latent curiosity?'

I started to speak, noticing my hand as I naturally reached for his hair and stopping myself in time.

"They like you very much."

"And they just volunteered this information to you?"

Jade and cobalt eyes looked up at me, fixed on my own open gaze.

"Oh. No, no, I asked them. I took the opportunity to learn more about you."

"I see."

He was so unguarded. Because of that, I could see what I was saying troubled him somehow.