Disaster Strikes

3RD PERSON POV

One night, in the sylvan outskirts of Azuchi. Kennyo was in his hut until one of his men told him the recent events in both Azuchi and Echigo.

"The mad god is in an alliance with the Devil King? how can this be?"

Kennyo clenched a shaking fist as his subordinate brought him the news. 

"I was relying on Kenshin's bloodlust to reduce Nobunaga's strength! Tell me. what caused the God of War to have a change of heart?"

"They say he's fallen in love with a princess of the Oda, Abbot."

"That can't be. The God of War hates women."

"But they've been seen together. It's rumoured all through Kasugayama."

"Of all the people to fall in love with, it was a girl from the Oda clan? This couldn't be worse for us."

Frowning, Kennyo began to think out loud.

Did Nobunaga give her to him as a hostage to secure their alliance? That's exactly the kind of manipulative act that I'd expect of that arrogant devil."

"What should we do, Abbot? if this continues, they may form a permanent alliance."

"We'll have to make sure that never happens."

Kennyo told his subordinate as his eyes remained dark in the orange candlelight.

***

ALEXIS' POV

"This is the perfect weather, isn't it?"

"Is that why you wanted to come back here?"

"Yeah, I wanted to see this place in the daylight. It was beautiful at night, of course."

I drew in a deep breath of fresh air, scent by flowers and smiled back at Kenshin.

We were in the wildflower field just outside the castle. The same one he'd taken me moon-viewing to. 

"I had no idea there were this many flowers! they go on forever."

'I wonder if it's freedom that makes the field seem so much more beautiful?'

I thought to myself as I stared at the horizon while Sora was busy running through the flower field and chasing after butterflies. 

"It's true. You can see so much more in the light."

But, Kenshin wasn't looking at the flowers as he spoke. 

"I thought you were enchanting in the moonlight, but, you're even more beautiful now. "

"Well, I'm pretty sure I haven't changed, but thank you," I spoke with a small hint of blush on my cheeks.

"All I saw that night was you, and the chance to have you to myself."

'We both see things differently now that we're together.'

I smiled after he gave me that compliment before I spoke up.

"Shingen hasn't been here to give lessons so, how did you come to sound so sweet?"

"It seems I can only say what's in my heart around you."

'Kenshin's become a huge romantic now that he feels safer with me.'

I thought to myself as Kenshin caressed my cheek which made my heart fluttered at the tenderness of that touch. 

"I'm going to water the house. Stay here?"

"Of course, Sora will keep me company, won't you boy?"