It's Far Past Time To Get Over Yourself

ALEXIS' POV

The next day, I got up and I did my work which was an entertainer and I also had a few lessons for both the Biwa and the sitar. I was at one of the inns in Echigo and everyone loved my singing voice. A few of the kids from the inn also loved Sora and they wouldn't stop petting his fur or playing with him. I got back after my performance along with Sora who wouldn't stop following me all day and I rubbed the back of my neck.

'Phew! I worked all day long but, it was worth it. I got paid twice the amount than I usually get from my previous workers and those lessons are paying off too.'

 I was heading back to my room after a long day's work but, as I passed through the hallway that encircled the garden, I saw him. 

'Kenshin? Is he just standing there?'

He was so beautiful, bathed in the light of early sunset, that I was tempted to just stand and watch him. But, I slipped out into the garden to join him, greeting him cheerfully. 

"Hello, Kenshin."

"You're finished with work, Alexis?" Kenshin asked me before petting Sora's head.

"Yep. What are you up to?"

"I had a break in work, so I was overseeing the renovation."

He pointed to where several men were working hard.

"The landscapers are putting in a rock garden."

'Oh, pretty.'

I thought to myself after he told me this. I watched as the workers were busily moving in a selection of smooth white stones.

"With those and some hanging lanterns, that should keep the garden from looking empty."

"I think that sounds lovely--!"

'"Empty"? wait a minute. The garden wasn't empty yesterday.'

I thought to myself after I realised something.

"Where did all the flowers go?" I asked Kenshin.

I looked around and I didn't see a single bloom anywhere.

"I cut them down."

"You cut all the flowers down?" I asked in a shocked tone.

'They looked healthy like they'd continue to bloom for weeks.'

I thought to myself after I remembering the flowers I admired last night.

"Did you plan to use them for a display or something?"

"No. But there was a local daimyo who'd expressed an interest in the cuttings. I sent them to him."

"Well, I hope he likes them," I told him with a small smile before Sora barked in agreement.

'...Although...this seems pretty capricious.'

I felt a creeping uneasiness settle over me that I couldn't explain. It was then Kenshin turned to me with the sweetest, most loving smile. 

"Are you happy, Alexis? the flowers won't ever hurt you again."

Sora and I looked at him with a surprised look.

'No. He couldn't have. Could he?'

I asked myself before I spoke up.

"You removed every flower in the garden because I pricked my finger on one of them?"

"That's right."

The uneasiness I felt intensified after he told me this.

"But, they were beautiful. And it was just a clumsy accident--"