I'm Afraid There's Not Much Time Left

ALEXIS' POV

We got away from there as fast as Shingen and Yukimura's horses could go; since I didn't have a horse yet, I rode with Shingen. Sora, meanwhile, ran alongside us.

'I have a lot of questions but, I also don't want to bite my tongue.'

For now, I kept quiet. It wasn't long before we slowed down enough to talk safely.

"All right, I'd say we've put enough space between us and any pursuers."

"I don't think they followed us anyway."

They stopped their horses and dismounted, with Shingen giving me his hand to get down. The three of us took the chance to talk while the horses grazed and Sora laid down on the ground to catch his breath.

"Are you all right, Alexis? I'm sorry for the rough ride, with your shoulder."

"Don't worry about it. It hasn't opened up so I'm okay. Thanks for your concern. But, how did you guys find me? And how did you find the fortress? It might as well be on the moon!"

Once I'd gotten started, the questions came spilling out.

"Sasuke wrote to us, explaining everything. He asked us to take care of you. He was really worried you know. He would've come himself but he needed to stay with Lord Kenshin."

"Sasuke arranged all this?"

I asked in a surprised tone.

'He's still looking out for me.'

I thought to myself with a small smile. Sasuke must have been nervous himself but, he remained loyal, both to Kenshin and to me.

'And now Yukimura and Shingen are here too, helping me.'

"Thank you both for rescuing me," I bowed in formal gratitude.

"Saving a captured Princess is a man's duty. It doesn't merit such a deep bow. But, if you'd like to repay me, I wouldn't possibly refuse a ki-"

I glared at Shingen while showing off my scary aura which shut him up. It was about all his flirtation deserved. Yukimura rolled his eyes.

"Quit it or I'll tell Lord Kenshin you were hitting on her. Then we'll see some real hitting and cutting," Yukimura turned to look at me.

"Alexis, I'm glad you know better than to dignify with a response. We weren't together in Kasugayama Castle for that long, but I know we're friends."

"We sure are."

They both looked at me fondly.

'I might have figured out how to escape on my own, but nothing beats having my friends here.'

I thought about John and the others and it felt nice to have some friends again. However, this is not the time to think about my buddies from Canada.

"So, now for the big question. Where is Kenshin? The last time I saw him, he said he was going to a war...with everyone," I spoke quietly at the last part.

'He wants a world where I alone am safe. He loves me enough to attempt something truly horrific.'

My last sight of his eyes haunted me. He looked so completely lost. Shingen was watching me now, perhaps considering how best to respond.

"Kenshin was marching south towards Azuchi to kill Nobunaga and Kennyo...on the way, he stopped to deal with the Ikko-Ikki, who've started a revolt in Uesugi territory."

"The Ikko-Ikki?" I asked him before Yukimura told me.

"That's Kennyo's sect. A lot of former peasants and farmers."