I'll See You Soon, Alexis

ALEXIS' POV

After we made sure we got everything packed, the Uesugi army was ready to move camp. Kenshin was riding at the rear of his army and I was riding with him. Sora was walking next to us as we marched through the field.

'It's so dark at night without any torches or campfires.'

"Are you doing all right, Alexis?" Kenshin asked me.

"Yes, mostly."

His arms were loosely wrapped around me and his body kept me warm from the chill of the night air. 

"I know it's dark but, it's necessary for us to move undetected. If you're scared though, I'll hold you."

"Thank you, I'd like that," I told him as I nuzzled my face in his chest.

'*Sighs* I've missed this tender side of him.'

I thought to myself as Kenshin tightened his embrace. 

"You know, it's interesting that you can move a whole army without your enemies realising it."

"In the darkness, they look for campfires to locate us. We left fires in the old camp so they'll think we're still there."

'That should keep us safe tonight.'

I looked up at Kenshin and I wanted to ask him something.

"Kenshin, about tomorrow..."

I wanted to ask him what I should do. With the urgency of moving camp, I'd lost the chance to say anything. 

'What I want to do is to stay with him. But, if he has to send me with the main force so he can fight unburdened, I'll go.'

Our eyes met and he surprised me.

"Alexis, tomorrow, would you come with me?"

"Are you sure that's safe?"

"There is no safe place to send you in this battle. So, I want you as close to me as possible. That way, I know I can protect you."

"Thanks. I'll stay with you tomorrow. Of course, I will."

Sora barked at us to get our attention.

"Hehe, I think that's Sora's way of saying; 'I'm coming with you!'"

"*Chuckle* it sounded like it. But, he has to make sure to keep his barking to a minimum. We don't want to attract unnecessary attention."

I nodded my head in agreement before I glanced at his face.

'With me next to him for tomorrow's battle, I can support him and I'll make sure he lives to come back with me.'

I thought to myself as I remembered what I had said to him earlier after I arrived at his tent earlier. 

'I'll be there so you can stay strong.'

I smiled up at him and I said to him.

"I'm looking forward to being there by your side tomorrow."

"You have my word that I'll protect you and what's important to you."

Kenshin told me before he kissed the top of my head which warmed my heart.

***

The rest of the night passed quietly but, the morning seemed to determined to make up for it. Once morning came, the battle had restarted and the main Uesugi force broke through the surrounding circle. As planned, Kenshin's detachment stayed behind as a decoy.