Kenshin's Past

ALEXIS' POV

I held onto Sora for dear life as I listened to swords clashing and the bodies dropping like flies. After a while, everything went quiet and that got worried. Sora whined quietly and I knew that he was worried just as I was.

'...The screaming's stopped, thank God. But, it's almost too quiet now. Kenshin told me not to come out until he said so but, I can't just wait in here forever.'

Sora got out of my grip and then I heard scratching and whining which tells me he wants to get out too. 

"Kenshin? I don't hear anything. Are you all right?" I called out to him.

"...Alexis? I need you to wait just a little longer...I'm going to...call for someone..."

Sora howled and barked to be let out when he heard Kenshin's voice.

'He doesn't sound right.'

Kenshin's voice was breathy in a way that scared me. I slid open the door and what I saw shocked me.

'Oh my God!'

I covered my mouth after I had opened the door to a ghastly scene.

"...I told you not to come out...until I said so."

Alongside the broken swords - twice the amount there'd been when I hid - were bodies, unmoving. Standing in the middle of it all was Kenshin. He turned slowly to face me. 

'Is he hurt?'

He looked like he'd bathed in blood. There was so much blood I couldn't tell if any of it was his. 

"Kenshin, are you okay?"

"I'm all right."

I ran over to him and he smiled at me but, it was a pained smile.

"I just didn't want you to see this or me...that's why I was...going to call someone else to get you..."

Suddenly, his eyes rolled up and his legs went out from under him. Kenshin had just dropped to the floor.

"Kenshin!!"

I tried to catch him but he was dead weight in my arms, he was heavier than I was prepared for. I crumpled to the floor with him. 

'He's alive but, he's cool, clammy and that blood's warm. That's definitely his!'

I untied my hair ribbon and I tried it around the still bleeding wound. I knew he needs more than that but, I needed to find him help and fast.

"Sora, stay here with him."

Sora barked before I stood up to leave but, when I got up, Kenshin weakly tugged on my sleeve.

"Kenshin, what is it?"

"Don't...don't leave me."

"I'm just going to get help...of course I'm not going to leave you."

I had never seen him like this; weak and pale, his voice sounded a thin, anxious plea.

'I think he's in shock.'

"You're right...that's not what I wanted to say. Instead...I wanted to say...that...I was so glad I was...able to protect you...this time."

"What do you mean, this time? Every time, Kenshin - you've never let me down."

He smiled at me but, his lips were so pale it worried me. 

"Kenshin, I'm going for help and I'm going to be RIGHT back. So don't say stuff that sounds like final words and don't you dare die on me!"