End Of An Alliance

ALEXIS' POV

Several days had passed and right now, Kenshin and I were spending time together in our room when Shingen came by unexpectedly. 

"I have some important news to share."

"What is it?" Kenshin asked him.

"I should probably let you two speak in private, huh?" 

I was about to get up to leave the room until Shingen stopped me.

"You should stay, Alexis. What I'm about to say concerns you too."

"Really? I don't see how, but sure."

I sat back down, curious and attentive. 

'Being from the future, it made sense to keep myself out of current events. But, I guess that's not going to happen.'

Once Shingen saw that I was settled, Shingen began to speak.

"This is about that letter you received recently from Nobunaga, seeking a temporary peace."

"Nobunaga wrote to you, Kenshin?" I asked him with a surprised look on my face while Sora whimpered after raising his head.

"...This morning. How did you hear about it so fast, Shingen?" Kenshin asked him with a frown before he cast an apologetic look at me.

"Kennyo's begun his march on Azuchi and the Oda forces will be concentrating their efforts there. Because of what you wrote explaining the situation here, the Oda asked me for a cessation of hostilities."

When Sora heard Kennyo's name, he started growling and I placed my hand on his head to calm him down.

"All this from the letter I wrote to them about you and me? I had no idea."

"Kenshin has effectively married an Oda princess, putting him well on his way to an alliance between their clans," Shingen spoke as his smile lost its jovial warmth. 

"Why didn't you tell me he wrote to you?" Shingen asked Kenshin.

"Because it's irrelevant. I would never agree to a truce. That's what cowards do."

'Fighting Nobunaga is his goal and a truce would prevent that. Alas, for differing life goals.'

I thought to myself after hearing Kenshin's comment about a truce between the Uesugi and the Oda.

"The old you wouldn't have agreed to a truce, it's true."

Shingen looked at Kenshin, as though fondly remembering the younger man he used to be. 

"But, the new you has a very good reason to want to avoid war with Azuchi, doesn't he?"

I looked between Kenshin and Shingen. Both of them were looking at me.

'Shingen's urging Kenshin to avoid a war with the Oda for my sake?'

I asked myself as I glanced at Kenshin.

"I have a real grudge against Nobunaga. Even if it's through a tacit alliance with you, I'll never ally with the man," Shingen told us.

"That's understood. Obviously. And I'd never ask it out of you."

"Indeed, so..." Shingen touched Kenshin's shoulder in what looked like a pat goodbye.

"I'm dissolving the Uesugi-Takeda alliance as of today."

"What?!" 

"You can't!"

Kenshin and I both froze in expressions of shock while Sora whined at him, it almost sounded like he was begging him not to leave.