The Phil. Stone Pt. 3: Detention

Draco Pov

Draco was just trying to make sure Granger was okay, especially after he had heard about the whole troll incident. They had hung out a few times throughout the fall, and he was really enjoying her company, so he was also planning to leave her a note with the Fat Lady asking when she was next available. He had been about to turn the corner to the common room when he saw her and the Bumbling Two sneak out of the Gryffindor common room. Of course, he quickly followed where Granger and the others had gone.

Once he got out to Hagrid's hut, he peered in through the window and saw all four of them sitting around a table that was much too big, looking down at what appeared to be a Norwegian Ridgeback. The Ridgeback sneezed, producing a puff of fire, which burned Hagrid's beard. Draco couldn't help but laugh silently at Granger's look of astonishment. Knowing her, she had probably read all about dragons but had never seen a live one. Personally, Draco had always been a fan of dragons, and not just because they were his namesake. He had always thought they were majestic, proud, free creatures.

Draco soon came to regret his laugh because Hagrid all of a sudden looked up and they locked eyes. "Who's that?" he asked the other three while his eyes narrowed at Draco. Potter and Weasel looked up simultaneously, and Draco knew he was caught. He quickly walked back towards the castle, but not before hearing Potter say, "Malfoy."

Draco headed to McGonagall's office in an attempt to take this chance to get the Bumbling Two in trouble for being out past curfew. Technically, Granger would probably also get in trouble, but Draco was sure she would understand later when he explained. He told McGonagall everything, making sure not to leave out the part with the dragon (because Draco definitely did not trust that clumsy oaf with a dragon) and they waited in silence for the trio's return. They finally heard three pairs of footsteps padding down the hallway, and McGonagall went out to greet them. "Good evening," she said right as Draco was walking out beside her. He smirked at the Bumbling Two and avoided looking at Granger. McGonagall gestured for them to follow her into her classroom and she rounded the desk, leaving Draco to stand with the trio in front of them.

"Nothing, I repeat, nothing gives a student the right to walk about the school at night. Therefore, as punishment for your actions, fifty points will be taken," said McGonagall while looking sternly down at the trio.

"Fifty?!" Potter exclaimed while Draco's smirk just grew.

"Each. And to ensure it doesn't happen again, all four of you will receive detention." At her statement, Draco's smirk disappeared in confusion.

"Excuse me, Professor? Perhaps I heard you wrong. I thought you said, the four of us," Draco said, hoping he had heard wrong. But McGonagall always did have it out for him, so it seemed that wasn't the case.

"No, you heard me correctly, Mr. Malfoy. You see, honorable as your intentions were, you too were out of bed after hours." Draco saw Potter slowly look over and this time he was the one smiling. "You will join your classmates in detention."

Draco looked over to see Granger's reaction and felt a shot of jealousy when she smiled at Weasel and he smiled at her. Draco's eyes shot between them and he turned away again, not wanting to see their little exchange.