Deathly Hallows2 Pt. 2: Diadem

Draco Pov

"Why didn't you tell her?" Potter asked. Draco, Blaise, and Goyle had stayed behind while the other Slytherins evacuated, hoping to help out in some way. They were standing outside the Room of Requirement when Potter, Weasley, and Hermione had suddenly appeared out of thin air. The boys had quickly hidden behind the corner and watched as the trio went in. Draco beckoned the other guys to quickly follow him as he ran in right as the door closed. He didn't have a plan but knew Hermione was in the same room so he started searching the aisles. Instead of running into Hermione, to his dismay, he ran into Potter. "Bellatrix," Potter clarified. "You knew it was me but you didn't say." Draco's wand hand shook as he held it pointed at Potter, not knowing what he was doing.

Draco felt someone press against his back and heard Goyle whisper, "Come on Draco. Don't be a prat. Do 'im." Draco raised his wand prepared to stun when Hermione and Weasley came running around the corner.

"Expelliarmus!" Hermione yelled, Disarming Draco successfully. Draco ran behind Goyle and Blaise, planning to drag them away, not wanting any casualties, when Goyle raised his wand again.

"Avada Kedavra!" Goyle screamed at Hermione. She ducked -- much to Draco's relief (though it was mostly shadowed by anger at Goyle) -- and sent a Stupefy back. Draco looked around and saw that Blaise was running down one of the aisles. Draco grabbed Goyle and they followed Blaise.

"What the hell do you think you think you're doing? Why were you aiming to kill Hermione?!" Draco exclaimed to Goyle as they ran.

"She's with Potter! You heard You-Know-Who! We aren't allowed to kill Potter but we're supposed to kill his friends."

"You prat! You used to be friends with her!" Draco panted, not as in shape as normal.

"Even so, I don't want to die!" Before Draco could respond, he heard someone behind them. He whirled around to see Weasley running up to them.

Weasley skidded to a stop and started advancing forward with his wand held out. "Nice seeing you here, Malfoy. Let me guess, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named sent you here to kill us? Well, it looks as though your cowardice got in the way again. Goyle had to try for you. You might want to call him off because bad things happen when people mess with my girlfriend."

Girlfriend...

Draco staggered back at the force of the word and inhaled sharply. It had been almost a year and a half since he and Hermione had broken up and she had gotten with Weasley. He felt like a brick had swung out of nowhere and had hit him square in the chest. "That's right, Malfoy. A pureblood and a Muggle-born. Must be pretty hard for you to understand. We've already kissed and everything."

Draco couldn't find the strength to respond but luckily he didn't have to. "Wow," Blaise said and started slowly clapping. "You must be really desperate if you're bragging about your love life to the 'enemy'. Do you really think she's with you because she wants to be? 'Cause from our point of view it kinda looks like she's using you to get over someone else because who in their right mind would want to be with you?"

Weasley didn't get a chance to respond because at that moment Goyle raised his wand again. "Fiendfyre!"

A great, fiery dragon burst forth from Goyle's wand and Weasley screamed and stumbled back. The heat radiating from the dragon was unbearable and Weasley running away broke Draco out of his trance. Blaise grabbed his arm and they ran, leaving Goyle behind to try to get the fire to stop coming out of his wand. Draco took initiative and started climbing one of the towering piles of junk, making sure not to grab an unsteady piece. He could hear Blaise and Goyle climbing behind him and hoisted himself onto one of the boxes. Looking down he saw the inextinguishable fire spreading and instead of just a dragon, it was taking the form of a great snake and a bounding chimera.

Blaise caught up to him and Draco started climbing again. He heard a scream and for one heart-wrenching moment, he thought it had been Hermione's but saw Goyle's body fall and realized he had grabbed a loose piece of furniture and got engulfed by the flames. He just kept climbing, knowing that if he stopped, his fate would be similar.

Draco and Blaise reached the top, but the chest that peaked the teetering pile suddenly fell and they were left dangling precariously, holding on for dear life. He felt his biceps straining and his hands slip. He thought that all hope was lost, knowing neither he nor Blaise could hold on much longer when he saw three shapes coming towards them, airborne on brooms. Potter was first to reach Draco who flung his arm up, trying to grab Potter's outstretched hand. Potter's hand was too sweaty and slipped out of Draco's, but it seemed the always noble Boy-Who-Lived was trying again.

He circled around on his broom, Weasley doing the same, and came toward Draco once more. This time, Draco managed to get a good grip on Potter and used his remaining strength to pull himself onto Potter's broom. He looked over, relieved to see Blaise had made it onto Weasley's broom; and even more relieved to see Hermione riding on her own broom behind them.

Hermione sped forward, now in front of them, and cast a spell at the flames blocking the entrance. They parted and as the group neared the escape, there was an ear-deafening explosion and Draco and Potter were thrown off the broom.

Draco landed hard on his left arm and heard something crack. He didn't have time for pain though, so he jumped to his feet and ran through the nearest corridor. He paused only once, to glance back to make sure Hermione was okay, and when he saw she was, he planned to turn away. Before he could, though, she caught his eye and waved goodbye. Later, Draco would think back and wonder why she had done it since she was with her friends and he was the enemy. For now, though, he just nodded his head in acceptance and ran away, cradling his broken arm the whole way.

Well, this is it. Only 3 chapters left. I just got my first vaccination today, so that's exciting. I hope you're staying safe and I'm sad for this to end. Please comment and vote!

-Ms. Scarlet