Chamber of Sec. Pt. 4: Mandrakes

Draco Pov

Draco was hanging with Goyle in the Slytherin common room after the announcement over the loudspeakers that everyone needed to return to their dorms. They were playing a game of magical chess when all of a sudden the front entranceway slammed open. Snape stormed in with his robes billowing behind him. "Students, I assume you all know why you were told to return. There had been another situation with the Chamber of Secrets, and the Headmaster requested that you all stay here. Draco, where are you?"

"Over here, Professor." Draco waved his hand.

"McGonagall requests you in her office and says it is an emergency, so get moving. The Headmaster had approved you and you only to go out in the halls."

"Yes, sir." Draco headed out of the common room and made his way up to McGonagall's office. He couldn't think anything could have happened to warrant McGonagall's breaking the rules. She was one of the most rule-oriented people he knew.

"Professor? Snape said it was an emergency," Draco said as he entered her office.

"Well, not exactly. Take a seat, please. I was wondering if you could do me a favor. All of the petrified students are currently residing in the hospital wing with Madam Pomfrey. You are one of the best spellcasters in the second year, not to mention you are a pure-blood, and you personally know one of the petrifies. I was thinking, maybe you could stay in there tonight with Madam Pomfrey and look out for them? We need all the help we can get, and I know Hermione is important to you. What do you think?"

"I would love to. I could use some time away from Crabbe and Goyle and just need some peace and quiet. Should I just head over there now?" Draco asked, about to stand up.

"Yes, but I will be coming with you. I need to explain the situation to Poppy and get you settled."

"Umm, Professor? I have a question for you. Why are you doing this for me? I thought you hated me."

"I definitely dislike you, but I remember what it was like to be young and in love," McGonagall said wistfully as they started down the hall.

Draco almost choked on his own spit but regained his composure. "You were in love?"

McGonagall scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Everyone is in love at least once in their life. I had a boyfriend in my fifth year at Hogwarts and then we got back together in our seventh year. Of course, he broke up with me after we graduated because his parents wanted him to marry a pureblood. Unfortunately, he passed away a few years ago but his son and grandson are still alive." She paused and gave Draco a meaningful look.

"Why are you looking at me? Am I supposed -- No! Stop it! You dated my grandfather?!" Draco asked, just about dying from shock.

"Yes, I did. Abraxas and I were extremely happy back then."

"Blimey! I never knew my grandfather was a hypocrite. You're a halfblood, aren't you?" Draco asked as they neared the hospital wing.

"I am, which was why I was surprised when you said Hermione and you were keeping your relationship a secret. I thought your father would understand seeing as his father dated me, but Abraxas was always a little blood prejudiced even at a young age. I just never would have guessed he would break up with me because of it. Here we are." McGonagall entered the hospital wing and walked up to Pomfrey. "Hello, Poppy. I'm sure you've met Draco Malfoy before. He was the one who brought Hermione in and his father is Lucius Malfoy."

"Of course I know Draco. He had to come to the hospital wing after he fell off his broom and landed in the splits. So dramatic," Pomfrey said before laughing at her own joke.