Deathly Hallows2 Pt. 3: Final Battle

Hermione Pov

Looking around at all the dead, Hermione felt totally numb. Fred, Lupin, Tonks, and more were all dead because of the Death Eaters. She didn't want to think about how many had died at Lucius's hand or Bellatrix's hand or even Narcissa's hand because they were related to Draco. Draco, who had looked back at her after the Room of Requirement and she had waved. Waved! As if that was okay after everything they had been through.

Not just the bad, but the good too. After everything -- seeing these people dead, kissing Ron, and even having him stand by while she was tortured -- she couldn't help thinking about him. He was bad and she was good and yet they went so well together. But, alas, it would never be. Ron believed they were dating, and maybe they were, but Hermione wasn't too sure. She glanced over at him, tending so lovingly to her wounds, and started talking. "Listen, Ron. I'm not really sure that we ..." but Hermione stopped talking when Neville suddenly stood up nearby.

He was looking out the Great Hall's front doors at the giant group of people walking toward them with Voldemort leading the way. People, including Ron, started rising all around them, so Hermione followed suit. She had a sinking feeling since she hadn't seen Harry in a while that Voldemort wouldn't come back if he hadn't killed Harry.

Neville leads the way out to the courtyard where Voldemort was waiting. Hagrid was standing in chains in the middle of the Death Eater crowd, tears streaming down his face while holding someone. Hermione couldn't make out who it was but had a feeling it was Harry. Her eyes scanned the crowd, looking for any sign of Draco but when he wasn't with Narcissa and Lucius, she figured he was behind her.

"HARRY POTTER IS DEAD!" Voldemort yelled, breaking Hermione out of her thoughts in a wave of terror. Ginny screamed but Mr. Weasley held her back. "SILENCE!" With a flick of his wand, Ginny was quiet and he continued. "Stupid girl. Harry Potter is dead. From this day forth, you put your faith in me." Voldemort paused and paced back to the Death Eaters. Addressing them, he said again, "Harry Potter is dead!" They laughed and he did too before turning back towards the students. "And now is the time to declare yourself. Come forward and join us...or die."

There was silence after Voldemort's gruesome threat, no one wanting to come forward. Then, from the Death Eaters side, someone spoke. "Draco," Lucius said softly. Hermione looked back and found him almost immediately. "Draco," he said again.

Draco made no sign of moving, looking battle weary and hurt. His hair was in waves from the humid air and streaked with dirt. His black suit was ripped in some places and burnt in another from the Fiendfyre. His lip trembled and he seemed to search the crowd, his eyes finally landing on hers. "Draco, come," his mother said, which seemed to convince him. He slowly walked through the crowd, never taking his eyes off her until he got into the open space where only Voldemort was standing. He hesitated again, on the cusp of the Death Eaters and the Hogwarts' defenders. Finally, with one last glance at Hermione, he moved forward.

"Ahh, well done, Draco, well done." Voldemort wrapped his arms around a very obviously unwilling Draco and shooed him over to his parents. Narcissa put her arm around him and ushered him through the crowd to the back and out of Hermione's sight. She felt tears running down her face, for Harry, for Draco, for everyone who'd died. Ron's hand slid into hers but instead of being comforting, it just felt wrong.

She heard Neville say something and the Death Eaters laugh, but couldn't focus on the words. Her head was swimming with what was going to happen now that Harry was dead. She took her hand out of Ron's, too far into grief to care about the look of hurt that flashed across his face. Neville was still speaking and suddenly he pulled the sword of Gryffindor out of the Sorting Hat which he had been carrying all along. Hermione tried to clear her mind, preparing for the next round of fighting, when there was a thump and Harry fell out of Hagrid's arms. Hermione gasped when he stood up, very much not dead, and cast a spell at Nagini.

The blast broke the silence, and Hermione laughed in astonishment. Harry was alive! He survived Voldemort's killing curse for the third time in his life. He ran to them, Voldemort's spells following, and as Harry led them inside, giving orders, Hermione caught one last glimpse of Draco. Not fighting, but walking away, hand in hand with his mother, Lucius following close behind.

She had to smile, even in the midst of battle, because he was safe. He was safe and he wasn't fighting against her or her friends. During the fight, while Nagini was chasing her and Ron, when Neville killed the snake, and finally when Voldemort died at the hands of Harry Potter, Hermione knew that Draco wasn't coming back to her. She knew she would see him again, but never again would she kiss him or laugh with him. It would take time but she would heal and be new again; like a phoenix rising from the ashes.

Okay, so filler chapter much? Sorry, just wanted to give Hermione's point of view about Draco running away. 2 chapters left, and the last chapter is an epilogue. Hoped you enjoyed it, please comment and vote.

-Ms. Scarlet