Chamber of Sec. Pt. 3: Help

Hermione Pov

When Hermione had left the Gryffindor common room to go to Herbology with Harry and Ron, she was confused as to why the Fat Lady had asked her to stay behind for a moment. She complied and told Harry and Ron that she would catch up in a second. The Fat Lady had told her that a boy named Draco Malfoy was looking for her, and he'd told the Fat Lady to tell Hermione that he would be waiting in the library for her before the Quidditch match where Gryffindor was playing Hufflepuff. Hermione waited all week in baited excitement, and when it was finally time, got to the library half an hour early. Luckily, Draco was there, early as well.

"Hey, Hermione. I didn't know you were going to be here." Draco winked. "Is there a specific table you'd like to sit at?"

"Well, one of my favorites is back here." Hermione motioned for Draco to follow her and headed to the back of the library where a small table was hidden from view between two bookshelves.

"This is cozy. Do you sit here often?" Draco asked before sitting down next to Hermione and pulling out his Charms book.

"All the time. When I'm studying, reading, or just relaxing. Madam Pince lets me stay here late, sometimes."

"That's great. Before we get started, I have something to show you. At the beginning of the year, in the bookstore, I was browsing some books and came across one in particular that caught my attention. I had previously found a diary in our home library and found out it had magical properties. I would write in it and someone would write back. My father found out about my writing in it and got very mad and took it away. Before he found out about it, the person on the other side of the diary told me about the Chamber of Secrets connection to a magical creature called a Basilisk." Hermione gasped before Draco continued.

"This is where the bookstore comes in. I had done tons and tons of research on the Chamber of Secrets over the summer, but our library had hardly anything on the topic. When we were in the bookstore, I knew I had to take one more chance to try to find information. I found one book on magical creatures and quickly skimmed through it to find something on Basilisks. There was one page." Draco paused to slide the page he had evidently ripped out across the table to Hermione. "It has a lot of information. I thought you should have it because I know you guys are trying to stop it. When Potter and Weasley were using Polyjuice to ask me, yes, I figured out later it was them, I didn't want to say anything about the page because I trusted you with the information more. Over the school year, more and more things were falling into place, but the one thing I still don't understand is how the Basilisk is supposedly getting around. Do you have any idea?"

"The water!" exclaimed Hermione. "When Mrs. Norris got petrified, there was water all over the floor. The snake might be going through the pipes. After all, they would be big enough."

"You're brilliant, Hermione! I never thought of that, but it all fits now." Draco scrawled the word 'pipes' on the corner of the page.

"Draco, I'm sorry, but you do realize I have to get this information to Harry and Ron, right?" Hermione asked.

"Yes, I figured so, but promise to come right back and be careful. Looking at the petrified people, none of them saw the Basilisk directly, so I brought you this mirror with which you can look around corners." Draco handed Hermione an intricate mirror and looked at her with a worried expression. "Hermione, I'm serious. Be careful."

"I will, Draco. Don't worry about me, I can take care of myself. I've survived this long. I'll be back in a sec." Hermione stood up and took the mirror and paper with her.

She left the library and used the mirror to look around the corner. She was about to go further when the coast looked clear but paused for a moment when she saw glowing yellow eyes at the end of the hall. She knew it was over when she felt her body seizing and freezing up. Her eyes rolled back in her head and her head felt like it was splitting open. She weakly reached her hand out as though calling for Draco before everything went black.

###

Draco Pov

Hermione had been gone for way too long and Draco was starting to get really worried. He finally decided to go and check to see where Hermione had gone and wasn't two steps out of the library before catching sight of Hermione laying on the floor, petrified. Draco ran over and felt for a pulse even though he knew he wouldn't find one on a petrified person. He knew it could be much worse and she could be dead, but he still couldn't help but feel sick. He scooped up her body and made his way to the hospital wing. Once there, Madam Pomfrey fussed over Hermione and had Draco bring her over to one of the beds.

"Where did you find her?" Pomfrey asked while doing something in the corner.

"Outside the library. She had this mirror in her hand."

"Professor McGonagall will want to know about this. Can you go fetch her? Usually, before Quidditch games, she's in her office getting ready," Pomfrey told Draco while bringing over a wet washcloth.

"Yes, okay. I'll be right back." Draco hurried out the door and down the endless hallways before skidding to a stop in front of McGonagall's open door. "Professor! Hermione...is...in...the...hospital...wing," Draco panted.

"Malfoy? What are you talking about? Speak clearer and walk with me to the hospital wing," McGonagall commanded while standing up from her desk.

They headed out of her office while Draco tried to explain without giving too much away. "I was in the library, and I happened to see Her- Granger leave and...You know what, screw that. Hermione and I are dating in secret and we were going to use the upcoming Quidditch match as cover to hang out in the library, but I told her some information she wanted to tell Potter and Weasley. She had been gone for a while so I went out of the library and found her petrified on the ground. Hermione is in the hospital wing, and Madam Pomfrey told me to get you," Draco said with one breath of air. He could tell by McGonagall's face that she was surprised, but not necessarily angry.

She hustled into the Hospital Wing first with Draco following close behind. McGonagall took one look at Hermione and said, "Potter and Weasley will want to know about this. Malfoy, do whatever you want to do because, after this incident, the match will be canceled."

"Wait, Professor and Madam Pomfrey, I would really appreciate it if you could keep to yourself that I had anything to do with this whole affair. Professor, I hope you understand why we want to keep this private for now."

"Of course, Malfoy. Poppy and I won't say a word. Now, you better get out of here before Potter and Weasley come looking."

Two in one day, I'm on fire. Please comment, vote, and request scenes.

-Ms. Scarlet