Chamber of Secrets Pt. 1: Intimidated

Hermione Pov

Hermione was so excited about the new school year. When she had seen Harry and Hagrid coming out of Knockturn Alley, all the memories of last year had come flooding in. She had missed her friends so much over the summer, especially Draco. She hadn't seen him yet but had been looking out for him during her school shopping.

In Flourish and Botts, Hermione stayed behind to help Mrs. Weasley while Harry, Ron, and Ginny headed to the front of the store. Her attention snagged to where they had gone when she heard a familiar voice.

"...you've got yourself a girlfriend." Draco. Hermione smiled and was about to go greet him when she heard another less familiar voice.

"Now, now, Draco, play nicely. Mr. Potter. Lucius Malfoy," the voice said. Lucius Malfoy? Why that was Draco's father, wasn't it?! Hermione decided to wait a little longer to see how things played out because judging by Draco's description of him, his father was not a very nice person. "We meet at last. Forgive me, your scar is legend, as of course is the wizard who gave it to you."

That was it. Hermione headed up to the front, because she would not let this man, father of her boyfriend or not, bully Harry. Hermione went and stood next to Draco and then moved closer to him when she heard the menacing tone in Harry's voice. "Voldemort killed my parents. He was nothing more than a murderer."

She felt him move a little closer to her as well as he whispered down into her ear, "Hello, Grang-- Hermione. Nice seeing you here."

Lucius spoke again. "You must be very brave to mention his name, or very foolish."

Hermione finally spoke up. "Fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself." Hermione didn't know if she was imagining it or not, but as she was speaking up, she felt Draco's eyes travel up her body. She shivered but put on a straight face for Lucius.

"And you must be, Ms. Granger?" Lucius looked over at Draco for confirmation and Hermione saw Draco nod with a sneer on his face. Hermione knew it was only for show, but it still hurt, seeing him look at her like that. "Yes, Draco's told me all about you and your parents." At that remark, Hermione glanced over at her parents who were chatting with Mr. Weasley. Lucius looked over as well and a twin sneer to Draco's formed on his face. "Muggles, aren't they?" to which Hermione just responded with a glare.

Once Lucius moved on to criticizing the Weasleys, Hermione glanced back at Draco. "I'm really sorry about him. Yes, I did tell him about you, but just that I met you and that you were Muggle-born. On the other hand, it's really good seeing you," Draco whispered in her ear, again.

"No worries, I understand. And it is really great seeing you again as well, but we can talk later because we don't want anyone catching on." Draco smiled and shut up.

As Hermione started paying attention to the conversation again, she noticed that Mr. Weasley had joined and he and Lucius were having some sort of old man insult trade-off. "We have a very different idea about what disgraces the name of a wizard, Malfoy," Mr. Weasley ended.

"Clearly," Lucius retorted, obviously not wanting Mr. Weasley to get the last word. "Associating with Muggles." Lucius put Ginny's books in her cauldron and continued. "And I thought your family could sink no lower." Hermione's stomach plummeted. She knew that Draco's father hated Muggle-borns, but not as much as this. She reached back and quickly squeezed Draco's hand before letting go. "I'll see you at work."

Lucius left with a dramatic flair with Draco following close behind. Of course, Draco couldn't leave without saying something rude to Harry and raising his eyebrows at Ron in what Hermione assumed was supposed to be an intimidating manner, but actually just made her have to stifle a laugh. As much as Hermione enjoyed their little bookstore conversation, she was much more excited to see him actually at school.

Well, here is another one. I'm trying to get a few done tonight because I am going to be sleeping in tomorrow. Please comment, vote, and request scenes. If you want to see the moments where it looked to me as though Hermione moves closer to Draco and Draco moves closer to Hermione it is at 0:48. And the moment it looked to me as though Draco was checking Hermione out was at 0:56. Some people agree that both of those happened and some don't, but I like to believe they did happen. 

-Ms. Scarlet