Deathly Hallows2 Pt. 1: Lonely

Hermione Pov

The sound of the basilisk fang being ripped out of the large jaw made Hermione cringe. She pulled Helga's cup out of her bag and when she looked up, Ron was holding out the fang to her. "You do it."

"I can't," she replied quickly. She was nervous at the thought of what was going to happen and would much rather have Ron destroy the Horcrux.

"Yes, you can." He gently handed the fang to her and took the cup out of her hand. Placing it on the wet floor of the Chamber, he looked up at her. She knelt across from him and glanced up one more time. He was still looking at her and she averted her eyes quickly. Throughout the search for the Horcruxes, she had been feeling them getting closer. She wasn't quick to forgive him after he left her and Harry to look for the Horcruxes alone, but since then, she couldn't help but feel attracted to him. She knew it was probably just her separation from Draco that was causing it because she could never quite forget him. However, she couldn't get back together with Draco and Ron was the next best option. After all, he had been pining after her for a while now and she was starting to return the affections. Maybe she could learn to forget Draco and would miraculously fall in love with Ron.

She pushed those thoughts out of her mind and raised the fang, ready to strike. She brought it down hard on the cup and it sprung away from her, the fang buried deep within the metal. The pools on either side of them started overflowing and the one in front of them raised in a giant tsunami wave.

The pair sprang up and hurriedly backed away from the gallons of water. Ron grabbed her hand as the wave got bigger and they had just stepped back into the antechamber when the wave came crashing down. The ice-cold water fell around them, soaking Hermione to the bone.

She sensed Ron looking at her and was suddenly very aware that there was only a small space between them. She saw his eyes glint with desire and didn't even resist when he wrapped his arms around her and placed his lips on hers. Her hands didn't come to rest on his chest like they always did when Draco used to kiss her. They just hovered awkwardly in the little remaining space between their bodies. His lips were wet and persistent and so different from Draco's. His wet hands groped at her back but she just kept kissing back, ignoring how gross it was. Suddenly, her mind flashed with the unwanted thought that this was Draco. Draco wanted her again and was kissing her.

She pulled away from Ron, appalled at the thought of kissing Draco because she was the one who broke up with him in the first place and she couldn't go back to fantasizing about him. He was a Death Eater who had betrayed her to the Snatchers and had just stood by and watched as she got tortured by his aunt in his house on the floor. She looked up at Ron and saw that he was grinning broadly at her and giggled back. He laughed as well and grabbed her hand. "Let's go tell Harry, shall we?" Hermione nodded and they left the Chamber. Hermione took all her thoughts about Draco and stuffed them in the furthest reaches of her mind; she was ready to forget him and fall in love with Ron.

Blech! Blech! Blech! Save me from this terrible death! Blech, I say, blech! I absolutely hated writing that chapter and I'm so sorry for putting you through that. Since I'm keeping this canon, it would have seemed cowardly to not address the fact that they did kiss, but I think I did have a good excuse that Hermione needs to move on from Draco. Don't worry! Romione won't last for long and the last chapter pt. 4 of Deathly Hallows will be the only chapter not in canon so you know what that means! We only have 4 more chapters after this including the epilogue. Sorry, this was a little shorter than usual but I didn't want to give Ron what he wanted.

-Ms. Scarlet