Chapter 1

My phone ringing caught my attention pretty quick. I jumped to answer it so it didn't wake my mom up. She hasn't been sleeping much lately with the studio and with my dad being in jail and all.

"Hello," I said softly, trying to keep the noise to a minimum.

"Hey baby. How ya doing?" Gemma Morrow asked. She's been a friend of my mother's for a long time. They were both married to men in the same motorcycle club.

"Well, Gemma, tell ya the truth I've been better. What's up?" I asked.

"I was lookin' for your mom. She didn't answer when I called her cell," she said.

"She's asleep for the first time in three days. What's up?" I asked.

"Well, Jax's whore of an ex had the baby today. Emergency c-section," she said.

"Yeah, Mom explained it all," I said.

"Well, Jax is moving back into his place with the boy and she's going to rehab when she gets out and I need some help cleaning that place up," she said.

"When?" I asked. Tomorrow was Saturday so my mom and I were both off of work.

"Tomorrow. Probably not until the afternoon. I'm going to go see the baby in the morning," she said.

"Yeah, want me to come too or just mom?" I asked.

"You both can come," she said. "More hands will be helpful."

"Yeah just let us know tomorrow what time you want us there," I said.

"How's 3:00 pm sound?" She asked.

"It works for us," I said. I hung up my phone and scribbled a note on our calendar so Mom knew what was up if she woke up before me.

I decided to head to bed, feeling pretty drained from the week we had at Caracara.

The next morning, about 11:00, my mother woke me up with some coffee.

"You're the best," I said, rolling out of bed and heading to the kitchen with her.

"What's this about?" She asked, tapping the calendar that hangs on the wall.

"Gemma needs our help getting Jax's place cleaned up," I said. "Wendy isn't known for her tidiness and Jax needs somewhere to raise Abel while Wendy is in rehab."

"His clubhouse apartment won't cut it?" She asked jokingly.

"I guess not," I said. We talked a bit more before getting ready and eating lunch. Before too long we were heading out to meet up with Gemma.

"Oh god," I said as we stepped into the house. I was glad I'd worn leggings and an old t-shirt. This place was terrible.

"Yeah," Gemma said. We walked through the kitchen as Gemma was talking about where to start.

"I'll start right here," I said. "I'll get this blood off the floor."

"Babygirl, we've got tricks for that," Gemma said.

"I know," I said before setting to work cleaning up.

It took me about three hours but I got all the blood out of everything in the kitchen.

"Good god girl," Gemma said, returning to the kitchen for the fifth time.

"It's done finally," I said, standing up from the floor and wiping my brow with the back of my arm.

"Well, we've got plenty more work to do," she said.

"I'll just keep up out here," I said. I started to pickup some other things from the floor and trash them as I piled dirty dishes in the sink and started them soaking in hot water.

In all honesty, I just didn't want to listen to the pity Jax party they were throwing in the living room. Jax may be a great guy a good chunk of the time, but he frequently has things coming for him. For example, whatever heat he's getting for putting a pool cue through some guys nuts for dealing crank to Wendy. The lash back there is all his fault and I'm not going to listen to the two of them throwing him a pity party.