Chapter 48

Chapter 48 - unedited 

Cover on the side by-------> Imperfect_Stars

*Saturday, 2nd July*

The amulet could've just been deemed broken; because it felt completely and utterly useless to Ara. She couldn't save her best friend. She couldn't save one of the most important person, the one who had been there during her entire pregnancy, the one who lived the most amazing memories with her. Ara wasn't even allowed a small moment of grief, a second of crying and mourning and screaming and breaking something. 

She wished someone would just attack her. She wanted to kill; the thirst for blood was excruciating. There was desperation in her mind; the desperation of revenge. 

Xander was too far away for her to find refuge in. And they were in the middle of a battle–a battle that should stay as a battle and not become a war. Ara could prevent a war–the battle has begun, but the war will not come. 

It has to stay back. The others wanted power and land; they wanted to get rid of the human queen, and their halfling future king. 

Ara stood by a large tree, the only tree without a shedding of blood spilt over the trunk, her hand resting on the scratchy bark as she took many deep breaths, making sure she could calm down instead of running around with tears in her eyes. She needed to get herself together–for Heather, for everyone. This pack–Xander's pack–the royal pack was relying on her to play her part, but she didn't know what part to play. 

She had the amulet. She became a wolf. But what came after that? The battle was here–far too early than planned. It seemed quite so unusual, she hadn't been expecting it until later–nobody had been expecting it until later. 

So she ran. There was still so much to figure out on her own. The amulet? What it had to do with anything made her head ring. It shown blue, and Ara felt the waves of power excreting off the beautiful gemstone. It was her mother–Ara's soul's mother. The Luna. The Great Luna–their Moon Goddess. 

Ara may be the Queen of all wolves, but she could never outrank the Goddess that created them all. And she was her child. 

How was she supposed to do anything? This part of the woods was empty, but howls and growls could be heard with her sensitive hearing. Instead of running to them, she ran up to where the mothers and children would be, waiting to cross a running river to wash themselves clean of scent, so the others wouldn't find them. 

Ara's skin crawled at the thought of the others. Who were they? Her biggest guess had to be those assholes who kidnapped her when she first arrived. That old son of a bitch who planned to rape her, despite having a beautiful mate. Could it be him? 

If it was, why make a battle out of all this? Unless there was more. The book in the library, the one she read about the The Great Queen–the future one, the title was rough from her memory, it said that people–were's–weren't accepting of who she was. 

That's when her fingers clamped over the glowing blue stone, and softly spoke words that boomed across the entire land. "What are you fighting for?" 

It wasn't loud like sirens. It felt loud like she was standing right there next to you, whispering the words right into your ears. 

Ara knew what people on her side were fighting for–they were fighting for their lives. They were defending themselves against a large group of rebllious werewolves with anger issues. But what had the others supposedly been fighting for?