Chapter 19

"You're my spark in the dark"

My body shot up in bed when I felt a hand hit me in the face. It caught me by surprise and woke me from a deep sleep. When looking over next to me I saw Jack having a nightmare. The nightmares he told me he's been having lately. There's sweat dripping from his face as he begged Lucifer not to kill someone. Seeing him like that upset me a lot.

Reaching over, I tried shaking him awake. It took a minute or so but he woke up and looked around the room frightened. When his eyes landed on me relief set into his stomach. His face calmed and he let himself take a deep breath. I wrapped my arms around him and held him close to me. He did the same to me while burying his face in my neck.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I'd never let anything happen to you," he mumbled in a shaky voice.

"Jack it was only a dream, everything is going to be okay." I assured him. He pulled away so he could look me in the eyes.

"I'm scared, I don't want to lose you. Promise me that won't happen. I need to hear you say it." He begged. I ran my fingers through his hair and nodded my head yes.

"I promise that you will never lose me. Do you want to talk about it, your dream?" I ask and he nods his head yes. We laid down as he rested his head on my chest and I continued to run my fingers through his hair. He proceeded telling me about his dream and how real it all felt. He said Lucifer kept finding new ways to kill me just to get to him.

Just the sound of his voice made it evident that his heart is breaking inside him. I care so much about him that when his heart breaks so does mine. "I know he's gone but why does it still feel like he's here, trying to make my life miserable?" He asked more to himself than to me.

"What you went through, what we went through wasn't something you can just get over. It's difficult and something that will take time. Our lives aren't easy Jack but that's why I'm so glad to have you and the guys." I tried making him feel better. He wrapped his arms around me and let out a breath.

"Why do you always seem to have the right thing to say?" He asked. I chuckled.

"I didn't know that I did."

"I love you." He whispered.

"I love you too." I replied. He ended up falling asleep on my chest and I fell asleep not long after. The next morning when I woke he was gone. A yawn escaped my mouth as I got up from the bed to get ready for the day. On my way to the bathroom I heard a voice from behind me causing me to jump and turn to find Dean.

"You scared the crap out of me!" I glared at him. He smirked and laughed at my sudden outburst.

"Sorry geez," he laughed. "I was just going to say we're leaving in ten."

"Good so I'll be ready in twenty." I teased making him playfully roll his eyes. It actually took me ten minutes to get ready and by the time I stepped into the library they were all impatiently waiting for me. "About time." Dean scoffed.

"What took so long?" Sam asks.

"I don't have an alarm like you that wakes me up at 5 in the morning." I replied. He only smiled while grabbing his bag off the table. We piled into the impala before Dean started up the car and left. This drive will be 22 hours long. We're going all the way to Los Angeles for this one.

Normally we don't work cases in California because Dean hates the people there and it's too far away for him. But today he made an exception. I'm not really sure why and I'm definitely not going to question it. I've only ever been to California once and that was when I was ten. It was a case John was working, Sam and Dean's dad.

He took us all the way there while he worked a case. He was like a second father to me and I miss him. I'm not thrilled about spending almost an entire day inside a car but we're going to save some lives. How can I complain about that? For this case a couple has gone missing from a hike they decided to take in the hills.

Apparently they've been missing for almost four days. Sam has been non stop looking into this trying to find out where a Wendigo could have taken them. Deciding that I don't want to sit and do nothing for the next 22 hours I pulled out my phone and started doing my own research. I felt Jack rest his head on my shoulder and smiled to myself.

"What are you doing?" He asked, looking at my phone screen.

"Just some research on this case. I'm wondering if it really is a Wendigo or not. It's weird there would be one all the way in California." I informed him. He didn't say anything else after that and just watched me do my work. After about three hours I had enough and fell asleep with my head resting on the window.

Since Dean doesn't let anyone drive baby except Sam, the two of them did shifts. One of them would drive for a few hours then they'd switch. One time I asked Dean if I could drive with him supervising and he laughed in my face before saying no way in hell. He's afraid of us crashing his car or doing something to, in his words, "hurt her."

As much as I love Dean he gets on my nerves some times. I'm just ready to be done with this drive and start this case.