Charlie Conway

Requested by Haleyja1108

Sitting on the bench with her helmet on, she watched with both elbows to her knees as she watched the puck travel down the ice. A District-5 player had barely hit it several feet away from himself before a Hawks' player had stolen the puck. She watched the game painfully play out for the last forty-five minutes and couldn't wait for the last fifteen minutes to be over. It was excruciatingly bad how bad the team was losing.

The District-5 team sucked and Brie couldn't do anything about it. If she wanted to try and help them, it was useless because she would get her ass handed to her by her coach and if she didn't help, she would look like every other snobby rich child on the team.

With a sigh, she let her head fall forward and rested the front of her helmet on the edge of the boards whilst waiting for her turn. Like every other player on the team, she was extremely good for her age and played with a passion for the sport.

Coach Reilly stood with hands on his hips as he watched Adam drive to the net, shooting and scoring with an ease it made him look like a pro at ten. He glanced over to the District-5 bench where Gordon Bombay, a former player of his years and years ago, stood yelling at his players. It made the old man laugh and before Gordon knew it, the only female on the team had been pulled from the bench.

"Valentine." He spoke up. She looked up in a hurry. "Get out there." He nods and motioned to a player on the ice.

As she stood up and turned, grabbing her stick leaning against the wall behind her, she held it tightly and walked to the door. Reaching down, she unhooked it and stepped onto the ice. Staring down the rink, she caught a look at the girl skating around. She was taller than every other boy there except one, who stood out considering his skills were lacking badly, more than everyone else on that pathetic team.

"Hey Val, ready to crush it?" Larson asked, skating around her and stopped in front of her.

"Already have." She skated by him, going for her position.

"Valentine!" Reilly cupped his hands around his mouth. "Take face off!" He shouted to her.

She'd looked back to him before looking ahead to Adam. He gave her a small smile before nodding lightly and pushed off with his right foot, skating backward away from the face off dot, she watched him depart. Her eyes never left him as he headed for her position as right wing.

Brie approached the face off and gripped onto her stick, lowering to a crouched position and the boy in front of her from District-5 has skated forward with a massive wobble. She'd watched him appear before her and her eyes darted in his direction, staring him in the eye.

He'd come from his bench where a brief pep talk had been given to him, advising him on the way this girl played. None of the kids had done a face off against Brie before, but Bombay knew these kids were all trained in similar ways, meaning their playing was most likely the same.

He had brown shaggy hair that was wavy and stringy from being half sweaty and dry. His face sparkled in a ting of sparkles from the sweat he carried and his eyes were dull, they were tired and frustrated. His posture was almost unreadable and he'd lowered in front of her with a sigh, his tight as he was ready to give it his all.

She had a sense that he wasn't having any fun anymore compared to her and her teammates. Her friends were having a blast knocking the inexperienced players off their feet and laughing about it in their faces.

She inhaled deeply. "Cut left."

"What?" He shot back, not loud enough for anywhere to hear, but was taken back by her actually speaking to him.

She looked up through the black cage, head low as she was ready. "Just cut left."

"Why?" He asked. "Why would I listen to you."

She shrugged. "Suit yourself, Loser."

The boy, Charlie Conway, rolled his eyes before crouching down into position.

The referee beside them approached, glancing down either side of the rink at the players waiting and surrounding the circle. When it was clear they were all ready, he dropped the puck quickly. Players skated for the other and Brie had pushed off in a hurry, her stick whipping the ice in a hurry as she heaved forward. She had cut left as he'd cut right on his side, not the way she'd advised him to go, and she knocked him off his skates.

He'd been shoved back from her arm hitting him in the chest and he fell to his back with a groan. She zoomed off with the puck, passing the puck off to Adam before getting around the taller girl from the D-5 team. When she was in the clear once again, he passed the puck back to her and she bolted for the net.

The bigger boy had moved aside, throwing himself to the ice and she grimaced, wondering what he was doing and she kicked the puck into the net with her skate. It was clear she was making the shot and then the buzzer had went off.

Making her way back to the face off circle, she came up behind Charlie as he was dusting the shaved ice off his red hoodie. "Should've listened." She whispered, spinning in front of her.

He watched her skate backward to her spot. "Didn't think you'd mean it."

"Just because I'm a Hawk doesn't mean I'm rude."

"Sort of does." He sniffled, cold from the hit he'd taken and she lowered in front of him. "And you pushed me."

"You asked for it."

"I did not." His brows furrowed as he grew defensive. she stood upright, pulling both hands up in defense to show she was harmless and the ref pulled Charlie back slightly. Adam watched with a raise brow, unsure of what his teammate what doing and Brie remained put at the face off.

Eye to eye now, Charlie had leaned forward just a bit as had she and they were inches away from the other. Staring the other in the eye, she licked her lower lip before smirking and eyeing the ice between them. If she wanted the puck, she had to remain focused, but if she wanted Charlie to try and do something worth while, she may as well pull back first so he can win the face off.

Brie Valentine wasn't going to let him win or make a shot on net, but letting him win face off was the least she could do. She was still loyal to her team.

"Cut left and this time, do it, Conway." She didn't look at him.

"Okay, Valentine."

When the ref had dropped the puck, she had cut left like needing to and he'd cut left like told and she faked missing the puck. Going by the puck without touching him, she'd been taken out seconds before realizing it by McGill and slid to her stomach. Losing her stomach, she looked up and saw him turn, skating to seek Charlie.

Reaching for her stick and getting up off the ice, she turned and gazed to see where Charlie Conway was. Turning abruptly as Charlie had pushed forward, smiling greatly after actually receiving the puck, she'd seen Adam and McGill making their way to Charlie. Closing an eye as she grimaced once more, she watched both boys collide into Charlie instantly, squishing him like a pancake between their bodies.

Losing the puck, groaning and falling to the ice, she stared away from Charlie before her name had been called. "Valentine!" Adam yelled, shooting the puck over to her and she turned quickly. Her feet moved at a faster pace, one before the other, and she headed for the D-5's net with her teammates behind her.

The groans had grown louder from the kids being knocked off their feet and she spun, giving a little flare to her shot, before shooting. Brie had rounded the net before running into Adam. Bumping chests with a jump, Larson's arm had been thrown around her shoulders as she hugged the boys tightly with a smile, glade to have made a goal.

When they finished cheering, she skated down the ice slowly. "I tried." She told him before heading to her position, switching with Adam.

"It's fine." He muttered, heading for the bench as someone else had replaced.

Brie wished he could've done better to prove his worth, but it was no use, not with his low technical skills. And so, she played well the rest of the game with the right mindset. Her team had won and even then, she wasn't friends with Charlie Conway, but was accomplished in helping someone that day.