Lester Averman

Scratching the back of her neck, she tilted her head to the side as she watched the ref pull Jesse away from center ice. 

The boy about to brawl it out with McGill at face off for a mean comment toward him, his brother, and Guy Germaine. Her team was absolute shit and she knew it, they all knew it and grew to accept that fact. Hockey was just something for them to kill time and befriend one another. Their beef with the highest ranking team among Pee Wees had a higher tally than the scoreboard. 

The Hawks.

That was their enemy and Twyla wished her team could score at least one goal or come to close to shooting on the net. It was definitely a shit show, you tell someone to skate right, they skate left. People were clumsy and the fit of boys she ended up with for teammates held more giggles towards idiotic crap than actual meaningful stuff.

Exhaling, she watched their new coach pop several pills as he looked quite stressed. The young hot shot of a lawyer ruled the courtroom and to say she hated him was a little harsh. He was charming and she may be eleven and a half years old, but she knew a good looking person when she saw one. Finding her coach charming was no different than finding a teacher good looking who was actually nice and smart in school.

Beside her, Connie stood on the bench picking at her nails as she waited to take her shift on the ice. The four of them bumming around on the bench to wait while their coach just stood there watching, already know his team was gonna lose. 

Twyla arched a brow, eyeing the curly redhead who stood in front of the bench, banging his stick against the inside boards. "Um, batter, batter, hum, batter, batter!" He sang.

She looked to Connie, her best friend, and the two exchanged weird looks. "Let's go, set up!" The new coach yelled.

"Hey, batter, batter, swing, batter, batter!" He continued to sing. "Hum, batter, batter. Swing, batter, batter."

"Averman." The coach spoke.

"Hum, batter, batter." He began to tap the stick a bit harder, creating a melody to his almost decent singing.

"Averman!" He called and the boy stopped, all four kids looking at him. "It's hockey! There's no batter. Idiot." He mumbled.

The redhead grinned widely, almost not caring and turned to face the ice as the coach snickered. "Hum goalie, goalie, goalie. Save, goalie, goalie, goalie."

 She watched the coach step away to the far side of the bench away from the annoying boy and Twyla snorted a laugh. Jumping down from the back bench, standing on it in her skates, she stepped over the front one and pushed Averman's shoulder roughly with a laugh. 

"Heyyyy!" He cried out, losing his balance and fell into Karp before regaining himself.

Twyla turned her head, pushing her too big hockey helmet back onto her head as she eyed. "Nice shirt." She teased him.

"Hey, it's red isn't it?" He shot back defensively.

The girl with blonde hair laughed at him, also wearing red but at least tried to match the colors whereas he wore two different colored reds. She eyed him up and down with an arched brow. "Where'd you get it? Your mom?" 

"No!" He cried. 

"That's a deep V neck, Averman." She pointed, tugging on it and the top button came loose as she giggled, laughing at him and Connie erupted into a fit of giggles as well.

Dave Karp looked at her next, leaning over Averman to see her and none of the four paid attention to the dreadful hockey game in front of them. "It's red, though." He tried making the best of it.

"Karp," She began nicely. "You're wearing a green football helmet." The boy gasped. "And Guy's wearing a wrestling cap! Is that even a helmet?"

"I don't know," Connie began. "But it sure does look good."

Twyla, Karp, and Averman all turned, falling into one another's shoulders and eyed Connie, her eyes lustful as she dreamed of the dirty blonde boy. The three immature friends began to gag and fake throwing up. 

Connie did have the hots for Guy Germaine, and he sort of did for her, too, but neither admitted it. It was cute in a sense to Twyla, but whenever she goofed around with the boys, she tended to lose a bit of female maturity she had. A laughing mess, she made fun of a childhood crush her best friend had since her two male friends were also laughing and making fun of it.

Averman leaning over Twyla's shoulder to fake purging as she doubled over, arms hugging her stomach and the dramatic trio continued as Connie rolled her eyes. Twyla broke her character and began to laugh, falling into Averman's side as she almost fell over when he pushed her away from her in a hurry.

He coughed. "Gross! Get off me." He shoved her.

"What kind of name is Lester?" She shot, simply asking him.

Averman stared at her. "Oh yeah! What kind of name is Twyla?!"

She hummed, using her stick to tap his skate that was barely laced up. Twyla wanted to see how long she could do that before Averman got mad at her and pulled a stunt, she believed she could make it to shift change; that's if the coach bothered to change out the players.

The girl eyed him down with a laugh, grin tugging at the corner of her mouth. "Least Twyla sounds majestical unlike Averman...I'd name my hamster that."

"Haha, a hamster." Karp laughed along.

Averman rolled his eyes, looking her in the eye. "Hamsters are cute."

"So what happened to you?" She was stoic, not laughing as internally she was dying. Karp, behind Averman, doubled over with a massively loud laugh that had parents staring at the four kids on the bench. "That was good."

"Yeah, well, Twyla sounds like a mermaid."

"Better than a hamster." She mocked.

"Hey!" He yelled, kicking her in the knee with his own. "Stop hitting me." He finally realized she'd been hitting him with her hockey stick.

"I barely touched you!"

"Stop!"

"Mom!"

Both kids began to hit each other with the ends of their hockey sticks as their coach watched, unsure what was even happening. He said nothing anyhow and let them continue hitting each other. 

Twyla reached out and punched Averman's shoulder, who was becoming frustrated at the idea she could not take a hint and stop. He always had a good time with the girl and tormenting her was a real joy, but this was going on long enough for the afternoon. Averman reached forward and used his stick to push her back from him. 

She was taken off guard when he hooked it behind her skate, tugging it forward and she stumbled backward, hitting the rubber mat roughly, helmet falling off the top of her head. He watched the helmet bounce to her side and her hair a ruffled mess as she glared at him now.

A laugh escaped Averman as Karp leaned over his shoulder, seeing if the girl was okay as she scoffed, gripping her hockey stick tightly. "Haha, I win."

"Did not." She shot answered him. "We'll see who wins when one of us gets a goal first."

"Pfft, like hell that'll happen."

She stood up and opened the door to the boards, seeing Charlie coming off the ice. "Bet you it will be me, Lester!" She mocked, yelling his name.

Averman tried reaching over the boards to grab her shirt and yank her, but he missed when she skated away. 

Charlie came in, tripping over the ledge of the boards at the door and almost fell before catching himself. He looked back to Twyla before glance to Averman and Karp, Connie was quiet as she approached the door, ready to switch with Terry. "What's that about?"

"She likes me." Averman answered.

"She does not." Connie laughed, skating off.

"She does." He winked. "Connie's jealous because I know it."

"Yeah..." Charlie trailed, trying to believe him and sat down on the bench.