Dwayne Robertson

As the lunch bell rang, my group and I were getting ready to leave the dinning hall for afternoon classes. It'd been one hectic of a morning, especially with the lab this morning, which I learned quite a bit but also wished I had a different partner. 

Isn't it like every girl's dream to be paired with their best friend or the boy they're crushing on, or even a hot guy they don't even like? I was surely paired with a good looking guy, but the guy didn't shut the fuck up therefore I grew annoyed and bored to the point I wanted to leave the lab.

As students filed out of the hall, I grabbed hold of my plastic lunch tray, waiting so I didn't pump into anyone and then moved. One of the boys bumped into my shoulder from behind and my teenage mind did nothing more than just stare, watching him wander off with my other friends. 

I glanced to my other few friends laughing together as the girls fell into the boys' sides playfully. Casual horseplay the girls knew as flirting while the boys were clueless to it all. All of them pushing each other side to side into the other as they joked around and wandered off. Each carrying their own trays to the bins for the ladies afterward, I watched the boys look back for the girls as they caught up with giggles and all while doing so, I hadn't yet moved away from the table.

With an inhale, I followed them out and couldn't help but just watch my friend group get along so well. We were all good friends, some of us knew each other better and others not as well, but we were still a tight group. It was like we all knew each other since we were two years old but in fact it'd only been about two years. Even then we didn't know everything about each other, but in a sense you know, we did. 

I was close with all my friends and I was the girl who was almost eighteen years old, a senior, and still had to have my first boyfriend or kiss. Few others in my group hadn't yet had girlfriends/boyfriends but had been on dates or kissed other people. It didn't matter if it was outside people or people within our group.

Now, many people make fun of me for it or tease people in my situation but there's more to it than they think.

I had found myself outside during next period, a spare for me, and decided on doing some homework at one of the picnic tables. I didn't mind being alone because sometimes it was quite nice, especially since I was with my rambunctious group of friends twenty four seven. 

A set of books had been slammed down on the wooden table and spooked me, causing me to look up. "Want a friend?" He asked casually.

"Be my guest." 

It was one of my many friends who'd done it and proceeded to sit down, taking his cowboy hat off and placed it on the bench next to him.  He gave me the wackiest smile ever as he opened the pages to his textbook. "What you working on?"

I shrugged. "Nothing, really."

"That's gotta be the best." He replied, shaking his head side to side to an imaginative melody as his giddy smile remained. "Why you out here alone?"

"Um, do I have to be with someone?" I kind of laughed, unsure why he asked me that because I was alone most times if I chose to be. 

He shook his head. "Nah...Nah."

"Heyy Dwayne?" I questioned in a sing-song voice.

"Heyy Y/N?" He repeated in the same tone, laughing to himself and looked up at me. "What's up?"

I debated on speaking up about something because I was shy when it came to conversations alone with people, whether it was girls or guys. It was hard because in a group of friends I was very outgoing, but alone having to have a more sensual conversation I was shy about it.