Greg Goldberg

Sitting with the boy at his father's restaurant, Kylie was betting Goldberg that she could beat him in a pastry contest. Goldberg had begged to differ. He believed he would win, what eleven year didn't think they would not win? None, they all knew they would win. Kylie sat across him at the table in the restaurant, people eating and drinking coffee, whether it was pastries or Italian food.

"I can beat you anytime." Kylie smirked.

"Can not." Goldberg countered. "I'm the best."

"Are not." Karp spoke up. "She beat you eating hotdogs."

"I was sick that day, Karp!" Goldberg shooed his friend away, who remained seated at the table, watching. Averman was too busy smudging Goldberg's father's glass at the pastry display case. He was in awe with the food and kept getting told to get away from the counter unless he was buying, but Averman didn't know what to buy.

With two plates of even pastries on the plates, the two kids looked at one another. Kylie wrapped the plastic bib around her, a lobster on the front, and she smirked, standing up at her seat. Goldberg insisted he didn't need the bib because he was old enough to not get messy.

"One. Two. Three." Karp counted.

"Go!" Peter shouted.

They could any pastry they wanted, so long as they finished the plate before the other. Karp had two timers, watching. The kids' jackets hung off the back of their chairs on the cold day. They were eating fat food before they lousy hockey practice with new coach, Coach Gordon Bombay, who didn't give two shits, looked rich, and watched.

Kylie shoved the cannolis into her mouth while Goldberg ate the croissant. "I'm gon' beat you." She spoke, food falling from her mouth and Goldberg shook his head, unable to speak with how much was in his big mouth.

It was funny, Kylie was Averman's sister, they both had curly red hair, and glasses, but she didn't need to wear them all the time, only when reading things. Kylie leaned over the table, shoving a muffin into her mouth and Goldberg started on the danish. Kylie could feel herself getting fuller by the moment. Her stomach was growing sore and outside the shop came Charlie, Jesse and Guy.

"What. Are. You. Guys. Doing?" Charlie asked, baffled at the situation, but laughed. 

"They're being pigs." Jesse snorted and pointed.

"They're seeing who can eat all those pastries first." Karp spoke up.

"Yeah," Peter started, the small boy being the shortest of them all. "They're not even halfway done."

"Hey Averman!" Guy yelled. "What are you doing?"

Averman walked away and Kylie stopped eating, leaning over the table with her hands on the table. She threatened to throw up, all those pastries being too heavy on her stomach. She believed she could get through it, but she was not feeling well. Being young and dumb, she continued to prove her point and win the bet.

"I'm gonna win!" Goldberg cheered, shoving the cannoli down his throat now, the boys watching with raised brows. His father picking up plates and shook his head at the kids who were gonna get sick, but he warned them, and they failed to listen.

By the time they were halfway done and it was time to go, the kids were outside walking to practice. When they got to their practice, Kylie held the side of Charlie's arm, throwing up in the light snow beside the doors. Goldberg threw his hands into the air. 

"Yes!" He shot them up. "I won! You didn't hold them down!"

She wiped her face and stood up with a smug look. "That's not fair. You always eat like that."

"Is fair. I'm a pro."

"Yeah, a pro pastry eater." She retorted, Charlie pulling her away.

"Let's go." He told them.

She turned and pointed to him as he followed her inside the building with the boys, all of them carrying their hockey bags. "We're not done. It's still on."

"Fine by me, Princess." He held his hands up in defense, smirking. 

Goldberg knew he'd won and Kylie did too, she refused to say the words because she hated losing.