Dean Portman

It was graduation for the seniors at Eden Hall, so all parents were welcome to join the ceremony as it was a special day for their kids. The main ceremony had finished and students now chatted among one another wearing their cap and gowns. Most were saying their departing goodbyes as they were now free to do as they wanted since they finished school. Lots were saddened by this and the Varsity team had a good run, keeping the state champs alive, as well as the Ducks.

Cherry Davis hugged her parents, who congratulated her for all of her accomplishments and becoming the young woman she was that day. Pulling apart from her father, she smiled and wiped a tear from her face because her mother hadn't stopped crying the entire ceremony. "Mom, it's okay." She smiled. "I have a few months before college starts." She laughs.

"Whoopie!" Her father said sarcastically, causing his daughter to laugh. Part of him couldn't wait for Cherry to leave and part of him didn't want her to leave at all. Her mother was the kind of mother to sob for days after the departure of her child. Sometimes it really does feel like losing a child because now there's a gap. "All right, so, we're all set for dinner."

"Actually," Cherry began. "I told mom a few days ago that I had plans with my boyfriend and his family tonight."

"Right, she told me this, this morning." He laughed. "How long are his parents here for?"

"Just the weekend before I go back to Chicago with Dean." She answered. "But, we're having dinner tomorrow. You pick." She said.

"All righty, well,let's go." He said, bringing his arms around his wife and daughter as they walked off to their car. 

As evening came, Cherry fixed the bottom of her dress and made sure her hair looked good. Dean laughed and walked with her to the restaurant. She was nervous to meet them because she had never met them before. She had spoken to them over phone before when she was with Dean, but nothing more than that. Dean was excited for her to meet his parents because he's been on scholarship for the last few years at Eden Hall and every holiday he's flown back home to celebrate.

Dean stopped before they continued into the restaurant, waiting by the front stand where waiters greeted guests, Dean turned to her. "Hey, don't be nervous. They're excited to meet you." Dean told her.

"What if they don't like me, Dean? What if they think my hair's ugly? Or my dress is too short? Or my ass is too small or big boobs are too big?" She dragged and he laughed, telling her to quiet down as people looked over to them. The girl was talking about ass and tits in a fancy restaurant, there was no doubt that people would stare at them.

"Listen, it doesn't matter what they think." He told her, taking her hand, guiding her towards the table secluded from the rest that his parents had reserved that evening for them. "Only what I think." She nods.

"Dean!" His father smiled, getting up from his seat and leaned over. Taking his son's hand, the two pulled one another closer and patted the other's shoulder. 

"Hi, dear," His mother got up, flattening her pencil dress and then leaned in, hugging her son tightly. "Oh my, you must be Cheryl-Anne." She greeted. 

Dean stepped back as Cherry shook hands with his mother. "I am, it's a pleasure to meet you."

"Don't mind calling her Cherry, it's easier." Dean said, pulling out a chair and she sat down. He then proceeded to sit down beside her and his parents smiled. They both observed the couple some to see how they were, but Dean's mother couldn't stop looking at her son who she missed for a long while now.

"Your father and I ordered drinks, so, when the waiter comes back you two just need to order yours."

Cherry nods and Dean spoke up. "So, how was the ride up?" He asked. "We didn't get to talk much before the ceremony."

When a waiter came back, Cherry ordered for both her and Dean, knowing what he drank. He was busy speaking to his parents. She was still nervous, even though his mother and father were very welcoming. They held themselves together rather well and they looked solid as a couple. Cherry hadn't seen them during the ceremony, sitting with her teammates the entire time and when she got her diploma on stage, she'd waved to her parents.

"It was a little long, not too much traffic." His mother spoke.

"Florence, you were asleep most of the ride." His father laughed and his mother denied it, even though it was true. "So, Cherry, what're you doing after high school?"

Dean nods for her to speak up and she nervously did. "Um, I got accepted to Princeton." She began. "I'd like to be a medical researcher. I plan to get a few degrees."

"Wow." Dean's mother nods. "That's incredible. You must be very smart." 

A waiter had come back with their drinks, giving them a little more time to think of what they wanted to order for their meals.

"I guess you could say that."

"No," Dean shook his head, an arm on the table. "She's super smart." She blushed and looked down, taking a sip of her drink. After setting it down, she grasped his hand below the table as they continued on with their conversation. Cherry was glad that Dean's parents were so nice and accepting, it made her feel more welcomed. She'd been dating Dean since their Freshmen year, almost four years, and she'd never met his parents.

"And you live here?" His father spoke.

Cherry shook her head. "No, from Jersey." She answered. "My parents flew in from Jersey a few days ago."

"Oh, you should have invited them." Mrs. Portman spoke up, looking over to her son.

"Mom, it's fine. Maybe another night before we leave." Dean answered. 

As dinner began to finish up, Mrs. Portman had gone to the washroom and Mr. Portman was paying the bill at the front counter where they greeted guests. That left the two together at the table, where they had nicely piled their plates together by the end of the table so it was less of a hassle for the waitress cleaning up their mess.

"That wasn't so bad, was it, Cher?" He asked.

She shook her head. "No, but I don't know how long I can stay out for that calorie walk." She laughed. Dean's parents wanting to burn off some calories and walk around from all the travelling they'd done two days prior and hadn't gotten out of their hotel room much.

"Why'd you pick those shoes?" She looked at him. "I mean, they're nice, of course they are, but they don't look like marathon shoes, Babe." He laughed and she got up, pulling her jacket on.

The group walked out of the restaurant together, driving in their two separate vehicles to the park nearby. Whey they got out and walked around, Dean and Cherry held hands as they continued to converse a little more. Cherry taking her shoes off at one point and Dean had given her his shoes and he walked bare foot around the park, which he didn't mind. He was showering later that night anyhow.

He would be returning to the hotel room his parents had and would sleep there for the night since he was going to be hanging out with them and Cherry was going to be spending the night at the hotel her parents were at. 

Holding Dean's hand, Cherry had placed her head to Dean's shoulder as they walked. The entire day had been long for both of them and she couldn't wait to have a bath back at the hotel and then go to bed. Dean looked over to her and smiled, placing a kiss to her forehead as he and Cherry trailed behind his parents, who somehow were able to power walk after everything they ate.