Ken Wu

***Writer knows nothing about figure skating.***

The girl with red hair danced on the ice with blond headed partner, the two were elegant together. Their technique was beautiful and the others from the team watched from the side. USA's Junior Olympic team was practicing at the local arena in San Francisco for the Olympic's being held in Japan that year. Ken Wu watched from sidelines with a sigh, he wanted to be the guy dancing with the beautiful girl, but he hadn't been chosen for the duet. He'd been chosen for the boys' single.

It was a pairs free figure skating and the two who'd been chosen were phenomenal. The two had just started and skated away slowly from their first position. The girl skated backwards, her arm extended as her hand was placed in the boy's hand, who skated forward, following her. They turned as they reached the other end of the rink and he brought his arms to her side, lifting her up and spun with her, then set her down.

As they skated, Ken watched with a sigh, an arm on his knee. He wasn't going to be there for too long as he had been recruited to play hockey with Team USA at the Junior Games in LA that year as well. He would do the Games and then go the Olympics, if he doesn't get injured along the way.

Ken had an ever growing crush on Brianna Halston. She was beautiful and smart, her technique was flawless and on point, she was very good at what she does. She practiced all the time and lived for the ice. Ken was just as good as she was, however, he was upset about not being chosen for the duet. Their instructors explaining that Ken did better on his own than with a partner and his short stature didn't help him either.

Brittany grasped the boy's hand, they stopped and he twirled her around before throwing her into the air where she spun a few times and he caught her. Brittany smiled as she continued, their instructors nodding with smiles as they watched.

By the time the practices were over, everyone was getting ready to leave. Ken had found his way to Brittany as she was leaving with her partner. "Hey, Brittany." He spoke.

"Ken, hey, how are you?" She asked. 

They all knew each other, they were on the same team. They supported one another, they watched one another's performances and cheered with joy. "I'm doing good. I wanted to say how good you and Daniel were."

"Thanks...And you were amazing too. I loved that triple aerial you did."

"Me? No, that aerial you and Daniel did was amazing. The one where you spun like three times before he caught you."

"I know. We're partners on the ice, friends off the ice. The instructors said it was between you and Daniel for the pairs skating, but you were too short, so they cut you."

He sighed. "Yeah I know, it sucks."

"I'm small, but I'm strong."

"Are you?" She laughed, not sure if he could lift her. She was taller than he was, she was skinny too, but she didn't know if the boy had the strength to hold her, or hoist her into the air when needed. She knew he could keep up with her speed on the ice, but was he strong enough? "Anyway, I'll see you tomorrow at the airport, Ken." She smiled.

"Oh, okay." He nods, watching her leave. He was happy to get to talk to her more, but he was jealous that he didn't get to skate with her. He had before, but it was because they were fooling around or just warming up on the ice.