twenty-six.

We get back to our campgrounds and Lieutenant Hemmings leaves without another word. 

I wish I could say I was surprised but considering he didn't say a word to me the whole flight home, I guess I can't be. It's more so, a part of me was hoping for a better tomorrow between the two of us. After our night, I felt as if we had opened up to one another, even if it was just in a small way. 

I just expected something to be better.

However, the second we got on the plane I figured he had wiped the memory from his head. He was so focused on that damn notebook and acted like I didn't exist. It was as if last night didn't happen, as if he never kissed me, as if we didn't cuddle the way we did in order to help one another fall asleep.

As if none of that happened.

But why am I even surprised? He's Lieutenant Hemmings and he doesn't care about me beyond what I can bring to his army.

I try not to dwell on this considering I know it's only going to hurt me. It's going to hurt me in ways that I can't prevent and it's useless. He's Lieutenant Hemmings, I don't know why I'd ever expect more from him.

Nonetheless, I sigh and follow his long strides as I make my way towards where everyone must be having lunch right now. Considering it's lunchtime, I'm sure he wants to pick up where the day was left off and make sure to kick everyone's asses in order to make up for time lost.

Shaking my thoughts out of my head, I walk up to our cafeteria wanting to find Michael so I have someone to talk to about all of this. I need to let out my anger and turn to someone as I hate biting my tongue and Michael seems to be one of my only friends here.

Pushing the doors open, I notice Lieutenant Hemmings is already in here discussing things with Calum, not looking back in the slightest. I'm sure he's filling him in on the trip and advising him on how everything went. I only wonder if he's going to mention how I did.

I spot Michael alone at a table as he delves into his food, not seeming to mind that there's no one sitting with him. I half smile at the thought of being able to take a break from everyone and just talk to Michael. But then again, that makes me wonder where Ashton is. I'm sure I'll barely be able to get a word out before he's rushing to my side, drilling me with questions about how things went.

Walking up, I take a seat, immediately grabbing his attention as his eyes light up and he smiles.

"You're back."

"Thankfully," I say, reaching over to his plate to grab the banana off of it. I don't mind taking it from him because I'm sure one of us will get up to get more food at one point or another. 

"How'd it go?" he asks, digging into his burger as I peel the banana.

I shrug my shoulders and say, "I thought well, but you know how Lieutenant Hemmings is. He's so up and down; one second you're on his good side, the next he's out to make your life hell."

Michael snorts, "Judging by that, it sounds like it went really well."

"Wouldn't that be nice?" I ask, a teasing tone to my voice as I decide not to go into detail. I especially decide to leave out the part where he kissed me last night and held me in his arms until the early morning. I'm sure Lieutenant Hemmings doesn't want people viewing him as soft and hearing this might ruin his reputation a little. On top of that, people could think he's distracted and I'm sure that's his worst nightmare. "I did exactly what I was supposed to do while we were on Damien's grounds and he still found a way to reprimand me in the end."

Michael gives me a 'yikes' expression before going back to dig into his food.

"What'd you manage to do successfully?"