fifty-one.

"I'm sorry... you what?"

    I hear Luke snort at the memory, myself smiling slightly as I remember it incredibly well. In fact, I don't regret a second of it as I'd do it all over again if the opportunity presented itself.

    Everyone else had cleared the room, leaving just Luke and myself to fill Declan in on everything that's taken place in his absence. Luke was reluctant to stay, willing to give me the time for my brother and I to catch up but I figured Luke would be the perfect person to inform my brother on my improvement.

    I could tell Declan a million times how much I've improved but I know hearing it from Luke will mean so much more. We obviously both know Luke's a hard ass so for him to open up to him about it, I don't doubt that Declan will actually manage to believe it.

    "I broke the fuckers nose."

    Declan shakes his head, as if in disbelief of this all and attempts to process the story of the soldier who had the audacity to cat call me long after everyone else shut up. The things he said were repulsive and I think him and I are both well aware he'd never get away with it ever again.

    "And you just let him talk about her like that?" Declan asks, turning to Luke in disbelief.

    The question was inevitable and I recognized that the second I began telling the story. However, it's something I'm proud of as I stood up for myself for one of the first times in my life and the truth of the matter is, Luke did just stand back and let it happen.

    No matter how we've managed to grow since then, hopefully all that matters to Declan is that history won't ever repeat itself.

    "I knew she could handle herself," Luke says, looking to me for a moment.

    "Yeah, but you can't just sit back and let-"

    "It doesn't matter," I insist, not wanting to get into it. "He ended up with a broken nose and I sent a message to anyone watching that I'm not going to just sit back and let them say what they want."

    "If Hemmings won't put him in his place, send him my way and I sure as fuck-"

    "Declan, she's proven herself without the help of any of us," Luke steps in, cutting him off. "She doesn't need us to speak for her, she's strong enough to do so on her own. Speaking on behalf of her would be an insult to the image she's made for herself in the short period of time that she's been here."

    A smile creeps on my lips and his words certainly are enough to send butterflies through my stomach. To hear him speak of me in a way that sounds so proud has me hanging onto his words as I know he means all of them. He truly is proud of the woman I've become while here and has proved that it hasn't gone unnoticed.

    Declan looks to me, as if seeking confirmation and I just nod my head. I'm proud of the person I've become as I feel like I'm nothing like the person who ran from her family to come here. I'm stronger physically and mentally and every single obstacle and challenge has only shaped me into someone that no longer is fearful of what's to come.

    "Well, coming from Hemmings... that shit actually means something," Declan says, mostly to himself as if terrified of admitting this out loud. "He's hardly someone who ever is impressed."

    I can't bite back the smile that crosses my lips, the reassurance comforting to me as I never take for granted any of Luke's compliments. I know when he says it, he means it.

    "Don't get too excited, she still can't shoot a damn gun," Luke says, as if not wanting Declan to think that I'm perfect. "Maybe you can spend some time this week helping her."