nineteen.

And man, did Lieutenant Hemmings make sure I suffered the consequences of my words. 

I've been attempting to climb this damn thing for the past two hours with absolutely no success. Instead, I seem to only be getting worse and worse as I truly feel like I could just give up and cry right here right now. 

Major Hood had tried to step in after the first half-hour and insisted that Lieutenant Hemmings was being too harsh but of course he was immediately dismissed as Lieutenant Hemmings reminded him that he runs the show here. 

I'd like to believe it wouldn't be as bad and infuriating if Lieutenant Hemmings didn't allow for all of his soldiers to call for me as if I'm a piece of meat. In fact, it seems to only get worse by the moment as they notice that Lieutenant Hemmings doesn't care at all about what they have to shout at me. 

"I could watch that sexy ass climb this thing all day," I hear someone say.

This causes me to look over my shoulder in order to shoot a dirty look at the culprit but of course, I can't distinguish which asshole it was. I look at all the smirking men who eye me shamelessly up and down and lick their lips. 

The look of them is disgusting and sickening as they've stood here for the past two hours, getting pure enjoyment out of my torture and pain. Not only that, but they're viewing it as a form of entertainment and an opportunity to eye my body in a perverted way. 

"Let's go, James," Lieutenant Hemmings says sharply, clearly noticing the way that I took a moment to glare at all the men.

I turn away, trying to shake out all the vulgar words being thrown towards me as I focus on attempting to climb this thing.

"Why don't we give her a different type of pole to climb? Now that would be entertainment."

I grip onto the pole roughly, wanting to snap at all these men but fear doing so considering I can only imagine my punishment will get worse.

"The things I would do to that sexy little body."

I wouldn't doubt it if Lieutenant Hemmings is enjoying hearing all these gross men talk about me in such a way as he doesn't bother to tell them to shut their disgusting mouths. Some army he has around here if he has a bunch of men who don't know how to respect a woman.

Anger shoots through me continuously as I move up barely half a foot before sliding down almost instantly.

"Fuck, did you see the way her ass shook?"

My throat swells up as my body begs to cry. I'm frustrated, annoyed, and exhausted of being treated like I'm nothing here. Lieutenant Hemmings is only proving this further as he's allowing me to be talked to in such a degrading way. He's letting me be publicly humiliated by these assholes who he constantly is warning me about.

I'm tired of being treated as if I'm worthless.

"Let's go, James," Lieutenant Hemmings says once again, his tone as stern as can be.

I look up, sucking in a deep breath as I pull myself up a little further. Tears prick at the corner of my eyes as I feel emotionally overwhelmed and drained. All I'm trying to do is look out for my brother and these are the consequences I have to face because of it. 

I pull myself up further, letting out a small squeak as my sore body refuses to go up more. I need to push through the pain and get to the top. It certainly doesn't help that Lieutenant Hemmings tortured the hell out of me this morning. 

"This isn't a place for you, little girl," someone says only firing me up more.

They don't think I can do anything. They don't believe in me. I need to prove everyone wrong and show that they have a reason to believe in me. I'm here to fight for my brother, and none of them are going to stop me.