twenty-three.

My eyebrows furrow as complete confusion crosses me and I come face to face with someone who I certainly haven't seen in years. Someone who should be on our side if anything. Someone who has absolutely zero reasoning to be working with Damien.

Carter Hewson.

Carter Hewson was one of Ashton and Declan's best friends back in high school as he pretty much always tagged along with them. I never liked Carter as much as I liked Ashton but I tried to be nice considering he was their friend.

He was notoriously known for sleeping around with everyone in the school and in all honesty, it grossed me out. Especially as he would come over and try and flirt with me, regardless of the fact that Ashton and Declan were in the room.

No one really reacted to it considering we figured it was a harmless thing that he did with all girls he met. However, one night, unfortunately, his words seemed to be enough as I was practically under his spell.

It was my graduation party and I was the only person there not really drinking. Everyone had brought water bottles filled with vodka and was focusing more on getting drunk than they were on anything else.

Carter wasn't drinking either and spent the night talking to me as we both avoided the drunk crowds. I was beyond appreciative that he was the only one there who really cared about the fact that it was my graduation party.

Eventually, he said a few things that made me feel extra giddy and we found our way up the stairs and into my bedroom. I don't know what I was thinking because I was a virgin at the time but the boy clearly knew exactly what to say as I was putty in his hands the second the door closed behind us both.

We hardly even finished before Declan forced his way into the bedroom because someone had told him they saw the two of us walk upstairs hand in hand. As a result, Carter was beaten to pulp by Declan, then soon after, Ashton, and then I never saw him again.

Until now, of course.

"Carter?" I ask, feeling almost relieved that it's just him but also curious as to why he's here.

"Long time no see, James," he says with a smirk as he leans against a nearby tree, licking his lips slowly.

"What are you doing here?" I ask confused as I look around to make sure no one's watching us.

"I'm with Damien," he says taking a step closer. "He recruited me to join his army and I couldn't find it in me to turn him down considering it's obvious who the stronger side is."

I just shoot him a nervous smile, unsure of how to proceed as I try to think of a way to make this look as normal as possible.

"He failed to mention that a pretty girl was visiting us today with Hemmings."

Knowing it's no secret that I'm not a part of his army and instead am with Lieutenant Hemmings, I say, "Yeah well, I got lost-"

Carter laughs, shaking his head as he once again steps closer to me, "I find that hard to believe."

"How so?" I ask furrowing my eyebrows.

"So you were hiding behind a tree, watching our target practice, while being lost?" Carter asks, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I got distracted," I try.

"How convenient."

Not wanting to feed into this further, I go to leave him as I say, "I need to get back to Lu-"

"Ah, not so fast, babe," he says, grabbing onto my wrist, making me snap my head around immediately. "Don't try to act like I don't know you're keeping something from me, and everyone, for that matter."