thirty-four.

The next few days went by.

It consisted of Ashton barely talking more than a few words to me, Major Hood getting frustrated with my lack of being able to hit targets when shooting with guns, and Luke driving me crazier than ever.

He knows damn well the effect he has on me when he looks at me a certain way and I know he loves every second of it. It's as if at this point he's just testing my limits and seeing how far he can push it before I lose my mind.

And I'll tell you, I'm damn close to it. 

I don't know what kind of game he's playing but I'm not here for it at all. Especially when I don't even know what's going on through his head. I don't doubt that he probably feels little to nothing when it comes to me and he probably gets a lot of enjoyment out of seeing the effect he has on me.

I just wish I was better at hiding it.

I can't help it though when everything about him is so beautiful. Not only that, but he's no longer that asshole he was when I was juggling my attraction towards him, as well as my absolute hatred. 

Now, he's still that asshole but we're on the page where I know he's not being one to make me upset. Instead, he's being one because it amuses him and he knows that it even manages to amuse me in the slightest. 

It wouldn't be the same if he wasn't one. 

Sitting on top of my bed, preparing myself for dinner, I run a hand through my washed hair that I had decided to leave down tonight, I try to push out all my thoughts. However, it seems as if he's all I can think about anymore and it's driving me to the literal point of insanity.

How do I get the blue-eyed boy out of my head?

It's not long until dinner and I'm hoping that I can just focus on Michael and whatever funny story he has to tell me. I just can't make the mistake of sitting on the side that faces Luke's side. I truly can't tell if when I do this if it's unknowingly intentional or I just genuinely forget not to. 

I'm going to go with it being intentional.

"James!" I hear Luke's demanding voice yell, scaring me half to death as I jump slightly.

Speaking of the devil.

I look towards my doorway, just as he seems to enter and throw an envelope at me. I'm surprised by this as I hardly have time to observe it before he explains his purpose of doing so.

"You got mail."

My heart picks up at this as I feel excitement cross over me. Today was the first day they were handing out any mail we have received since being here and I have been waiting anxiously for mine to arrive. 

I've been looking forward to this day but also dreading it for forever now. I'm finally going to see the pain Declan's been going through since being home. Not only that, but I'm going to hear everything he has to say.

"Thank you," I say, wanting to already open it up considering I'm that excited.

However, I put it aside knowing that we're going to dinner soon and I don't want to get caught up in it yet. I'd rather give it my full attention when I'm ready to read it because I don't doubt I'll be emotional while doing so. 

Luke just nods his head, taking the opportunity to step into the room fully. I see he had changed as well, wearing a pair of black jeans and a black top, his hair neatly done. This is something he seems to have a tendency to do once training is all done with for the day.

As always, he looks too for his own good but I'd never in a million years tell him that.

"Is it from Declan?" he asks me as he looks over at the envelope beside me.