forty-three.

"So what's going on between you and Hemmings?"

I immediately halt while doing my sit ups, looking at Ashton in disbelief as I'm shocked by this question. Did I just hear that right? I couldn't have possibly.

"Excuse me?" I ask.

"Keep going," he says, nodding his head towards me. I abide by his demand and continue with my sit-ups as he luckily continues with his question. "I asked what's going on with you and Hemmings. You two seem to really be getting along."

My elbows tap to my knees as I let out a breath and try to cover whatever it is between us as best as I can.

"I guess he finally decided to stop being so hard on me."

"It seems like he's doing a lot more than not being hard on you," Ashton says, practically making me stop once more.

Is it really obvious? When in public, Luke and I hardly do anything that could potentially cross any lines. Obviously, there was the situation in the cafeteria, that he's to blame for, but I'm certain that no one could've possibly noticed that.

"What do you mean?" I ask, counting the sits-ups I have left in my head.

"I don't know," Ashton shrugs. "He just looks at you with this look in his eyes that is impossible to miss."

I pray with everything in me that my cheeks don't redden at his words as my heart certainly begins to race. Had this been a few weeks ago, I would've laughed it off but considering the connection the two of us have built recently, I'm almost appreciative that someone else is able to see it; just for the confirmation.

"Well, I can promise you he's not looking at me any kind of way," I laugh, pretending like the idea is funny to me. "This is Lieutenant Hemmings we're talking about here."

Ashton still doesn't seem sold as he instructs me that I'm done with my sit-ups and gets off my knees. I take the opportunity to take a sip from my drink and sit up in order to breathe properly.

"I've known him for a while and I've seen the look in his eyes when he hates someone or even cares about someone-- the way he looks at you is entirely different."

I look down, knowing my cheeks are bound to heat up as the words are certainly flattering. It makes me feel better about whatever it is I'm feeling for Luke as someone else is giving me a confirmation that I didn't realize I needed.

"Well, I'm not sure what to tell you," I say, shaking my head. "If you find out what it is, let me know."

Ashton seems to battle with his own thoughts as he was clearly hoping on some answers from me. I refuse to give him anything further as I continue to play dumb and don't falter in the act.

"Do you have any feelings for him?" he asks, taking me by surprise as my eyes practically double in size.

"W-what?" I ask, hoping more than anything that he hasn't caught on to the way I act around him.

Ashton shrugs, getting up from the ground in order to set up my next station. I watch him walk out to a lifting bench, lifting one side so it rolls over towards the two of us.

"I don't know," he says simply. "I just didn't know if-"

"He's my Lieutenant, Ash," I say, feeling guilty for saying what I'm saying but also feeling the slightest bit better because I'm not technically lying, right?

I'm just not answering his questions.

"Sometimes people get feelings that they can't control," he says, his tone serious as his eyes find mine and I freeze for a moment.