twenty-nine.

"What the hell is going on?" Lieutenant Hemmings asks, as we all enter the room with different expressions on our faces.

It's clear that he's pissed considering we all know something that he clearly doesn't. I'm sure he hates being left in the dark and this just isn't making it any better as we all have expressions of fear on our faces.

My entry certainly didn't make it any better as I pushed my way in without any explanation.

"You may want to sit down for this," Major Hood says, as he sits down on the corner of Lieutenant Hemmings' bed, clearly knowing how bad this is about to be.

Lieutenant Hemmings seems skeptical but listens to Major Hood as he sits down on his bed as well and keeps his eyes on me. I can see the challenging look in his eyes as he's trying to make me break down and tell him what this is all about. I keep control of myself considering I know I need to go about this the right way.

He clearly knows this discussion is about me; I just am terrified for what's about to happen. I can't even fathom what he's about to say to me.

"Get into it, I'm not waiting all night," Lieutenant Hemmings says harshly, very unamused.

Everyone looks to me, knowing that I'm the one that can break the news. This is all on me and I can't push it off any longer. As much as I wish that I could easily just rip the bandaid off, everything inside of me freezes and I don't feel capable of doing so.

Why can't Michael or Major Hood just do it for me?

Taking a deep breath, I look down before fiddling with my fingers, "I-"

"Lila, it's okay," Major Hood says, as if encouraging me to just spit it out rather than procrastinate talking about this any longer.

"Luke," I say staring him in the eyes, his name coming out of my mouth rather than his Lieutenant name. I want him to realize that this is a real conversation and this is a real issue we're faced with right now. I want him to look at me like a normal human being and realize that I'm struggling with this and wish that things weren't this way. So with that, I rip the bandaid off. "I'm Declan James' sister."

Lieutenant Hemmings' face goes sheet white as his mouth drops open in the slightest and he stares at me in pure shock. I can see the look of absolute disbelief as he seems speechless for the first time in his life. I sit there, not knowing what to say or do as I know this is about to turn to pure chaos.

"I didn't realize it was a big deal until-"

"Fucking hell," Lieutenant Hemmings mutters to himself as he closes his eyes and drags his hands through his hair aggressively. "Please, someone tell me this isn't true."

Everyone stays silent considering we all know well that this is true. Unfortunately, there's no hiding it now and the only thing we can all do is accept the truth. I shut my mouth and look down, terrified of what's to come but also anxious to finally receive answers.

"Where's Ashton?" Lieutenant Hemmings asks sharply making me look up as I wonder why he's asking for Ashton.

"Ashton?" I ask, confused why he wants him here.

"We're not discussing this further until Ashton's here," Lieutenant Hemmings says, getting up and storming out of the room without another word. I watch him in disbelief, not knowing what just happened.

I don't know what to make of his reaction as he's hardly said or done anything.

Nonetheless, I can't help but wonder why Ashton needs to be here.

I turn to Major Hood immediately, as Lieutenant Hemmings had already stormed out of his cabin and left us with little answers. I'm hoping Major Hood can explain further as I furrow my eyebrows.