1

Money.

They say it buys everything, is the answer to everything, and after taking everything, you become everything.

Because the smartest specie on earth really believe that your life should solely revolve around a few thousand old wrinkled-up paper rectangles held together with wearied elastic bands, binding them so tightly together as if it were suffocating.

Without money, you're nothing.
Well, atleast according to my family that is.

"What do you mean he can't finalise it??"  a raspy tobacco infused voice growled into the phone.  "Listen, the deal was ages ago, why are they threatening to avenge now?! They should've known the lump sum of money was sufficient for the shambolic work that they did for me!"

I rolled my eyes as I heard my father's booming voice from down the corridor, grimacing as I saw my reflection in the mirror- and also because the stylist was pulling very aggressively at my torso whilst fitting my dress.

It was my wedding day... well it was supposed to be my wedding day. It was no wedding for me, just another painful act for me to endure as a sacrifice for my so-called family and their well-being. They were marrying me off to their wealthy business partner's son, a stuck up, deranged and not to mention, extremely ugly, pervert of whom I had no interest in being with.

But as usual, my interests, my opinions, didn't matter in this household.
It's all an act you see.

The world  perceive us to be the 'perfect' family, full of fake smiles and even more fictitious compassion for one another, yet in reality, nobody's here for the family life- just for the reputation.

"You look beautiful," I heard my mothers croaky voice bellow from behind me. I didn't dare turn around, biting my bottom lip as I tried to contain the tears that had now welled up in my eyes.

I gulped nervously as I felt her icy hand lingering across my shoulder.

"Shed a tear now, and it'll become a lifetime of tears. Don't disappoint us Seoyeon, don't disappoint us like she did." I heard her sneerfully spit, feeling the metaphorical weight that I'd now have to burden, just like my older sister, Seolhyun, was expected to do.

Except she got to escape, selfishly leaving me behind. But no matter how hard I tried to hate her, I couldn't.
She'd been the only one to care for me, to look after me as not just as a sibling- but as a whole family. And since she'd left, nothing remained for me; just being toyed around and used as bait for the sake of others and their desires.

The stylist pulled away from me, signalling that she was done with my look for the evening. Yet no matter how much make up she'd tried to mask me in, nothing was enough to hide my melancholy expression.
I bowed at her, showing my gratitude for her services, and silently walked to the reception area where the guests had lined up and were all chatting amongst each other.

I walked over to grab myself a glass of water, trying my best to blend in and not face any of these people and their superficial "Congratulations!".

Yeah, congratulations for having your life completely torn away from you.

"Even with all that makeup, you still look like something out of a horror show," a bitter voice scoffed besides me. I clenched my jaw, recognising the daunting voice of my younger brother.

"I don't recall your opinion being involved in any of this," I muttered in annoyance at his comment.

"No? Well if anything, my opinion matters more than yours no matter what the occasion," he tauntingly smirked, picking up his drink and pushing past me.

It was true.

As the youngest male of the family, he'd always gotten whatever he'd wanted, always gotten away with whatever he'd pleased, and enviously of all, had been the only one to get a taste of freedom.

My eyes welled up and I quickly placed the cup back down onto the table as I realised I could no longer contain them, running to the nearest washroom.

"Where do you think you're going?" My fathers voice bellowed beside me. I looked up at him as he stood in my way, his worn and weary eyes fuelled with fury and despise. I took a deep breath, collecting my emotions as I tried to fake a smile once more.

"I needed to use the restroom," I gulped. His lips folded into a smirk and he brought his wrinkled stub of a finger up to my face, his sharp fingernail scraping against my chin.

"You better be up to no funny business," his voice bitterly spat.
My breath hitched at his despicable demeanour and I shook my head, watching in agony as he smiled bitterly at me, letting me go.

I'd tried to run away in the past, multiple times, yet they'd all ended in failure and torture. They'd been keeping a close eye on me for the longest of time, scared that I might go and screw things up for them.

My life was a literal prison.

I swiftly walked past him and out of the venue towards the bathrooms that were located outside.

Grabbing a hold of one of the cubicles, I swiftly pulled it open, locking the door tightly and began to let everything out.

Tears and sorrow drenched my face, contorting the beautiful makeup look that the poor stylist had put together for me. I bet she thought that she was styling someone for the greatest day of their life, not for someone who was infact enduring the worst day of their life.

I heard as the muffled music from the hall began to play, everyone's laughter mocking me as my sorrow grew louder.
I began to crouch down onto the floor as my weakened state struggled to stand any longer.

Suddenly, a loud knock sounded against the thin door frame.

I bit my bottom lip, quickly wiping away all of the makeup smudges with a wettened tissue and practiced portraying my best smile for the demonic night that was about to take place.

The knock grew louder and more aggressive. I scoffed at their impatience. Can't a girl have a mental breakdown in peace?

Unlocking the door, I pressed gently against the handle and opened it.

My eyes widened as I noticed a figure dressed head to toe in black, concealing his whole look.
Just as I was about to scream, he placed a perceivably small hand against my mouth, preventing my actions.

It wasn't long before I felt a bitter scent drift towards my face, sending me into a dark and deep abyss of blackness...